Thread: Katafraktus VIII

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Post Katafraktus VIII

This map was done with Tear's excellent tutorial, with a couple of changes, some intentional, some just because I couldn't get it right.

The world of Katafraktus VIII is a colony in the galactic-spanning Empire of Man. About five centuries have past since three mammoth colony ships landed on the planet, carrying a total of close to 150 million people. The planet has seen a massive influx of immigrants in the last decade, and the world is quickly becoming an major power in the local galactic neighborhood. The world is known for its giant agricultural industry, an abundance of Deuterium in its oceans and the Orianox, a gigantic native animal the size of a small apartment block, which is fortunately herbivore.

The reason why I did the colony ships as (somewhat) realistic representations and the actual cities as symbols is because I wanted to convey the massive size of the ships. Even sprawling metropolises, with over ten million citizens aren't visible on the map, because of the scale, but the ships do, simply because they are so immense.

And as ever, I had the most fun just coming up with names for the different things, like "Intrinsic Morals" and "Downward Spiral Bay" and "Scholastic Katafrakt". It's probably too esoteric but I just think stuff like that is a right hoot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Katafraktus_VII.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	19308  
    Last edited by Daelin; 12-09-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Somehow managed to screw up the population figure in orignal map.

I like it a lot. Love the names. Guess the font could be a bit bigger for my tastes but that's about my only possible critique.

I think there's no problem at all with the colony ships showing up. Not sure how big they'd be at this scale but you could take them slightly smaller if that'd help the realism. If you're concerned about it you *could* make them dots and do little insets that were essentially satellite zoom-ins of the sites. That might be cool, actually, because you could put stats about each of the drop sites right there.

Nice map. Repped. [edit: Guess not. Have to spread some around first. [/edit]
    M

This is awesome indeed mate love the craters were the colony ships are

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is quite nice, my only little nit-pick is that some of the text labels get 'lost' in the terrain below them. A small stroke/slight glow would make them much more legible.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very cool! Nice job!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

This probably is a bad thing (because I am a nerd) but the first thing I thought was Warhammer 40k, then how many marines it would take to torch the planet.

Its a great map, love it.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Arcaneheriophant

Yeah, I see what you mean! But the map isn't based in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. A 40K hive world looks very different than this, don't you think?

OMG, that's a brilliant idea: A map of a 40K hive world! That's like a city map... which is actually a world map! Must make!
    Nerd-mode in-extremus initiated, GO!