Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghoul tunnels of Hedgemond

Post Ghoul tunnels of Hedgemond

I've been drawing quite a lot lately for a game I'm going to be running this holiday season. I don't think any of my players visit CG, so I will risk posting a couple of the maps. As is common for me: these maps are drawn by hand.

The method I usually use is to start with a light blue pencil for roughing out the design, followed by a soft HB pencil (.5mm mechanical pencil) and finished up with ink. For my more "important" drawings I usually use a set of Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph technical pens on vellum or Bristol board, but since these drawings are done quickly and not intended for any kind use beyond this one game I'm just using felt-tip technical pens on normal copy paper.

I drew the cemetery undisturbed and just added notes to a printed version to represent the damage caused by the undead, and am doing the same for the tunnels. Someday I'll teach myself how to label my maps digitally...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hedgemond Cemetery.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	18744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hedgemond Cemetery Beneath.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	18745  
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

Dude, you're killin' me with these. Maybe they're rough to you but they beat most of the stuff being put out by the RPG publishers these days. Love the draftsman style. Layer that with some painterly colors and I think these would be beautiful. I'd rep you for them but I think I gave you some a bit ago.
    M

great looking maps, in the second one your crosshatching is a bit distracting. I like the style though especially the layout of the cemetery, has a real kind of feel to it.

Guild Journeyer

I love these. They look exactly like a good hand drawn map should.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by DevinNight View Post
    great looking maps, in the second one your crosshatching is a bit distracting.
    It's the little adjustments that I only notice after the drawing has been finished that makes me want to learn how to use the software programs, being able to edit my work digitally would really help me out. I'm playing around with GIMP and Inkscape and I hope to purchase Photoshop sometime soon.
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

I'm finding that, with my scanned drawings, I'm able to do a fair bit of tweaking to my original work using the built-in tools (select, move, erase, draw, etc.) I can also redraw sections on a new sheet and scan that and combine it with my original.
    M

@ psyekl plus anybody.....

Awesome hand drawn maps! - do you know how I might emulate that cross hatch in PhotoShop with out the need to draw each stroke? Possibly using a brush?

Would love to here any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

ae
    "No, the fat one says he can deal with his problem, then explodes....."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I believe that it's a pattern in the Elements section here on the forum...I know that I picked up 2 very similar from that section.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I love these maps. They remind me of the best of the old ICE Middle Earth maps. Very high quality work!

cheers,
    Meshon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast