Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An introduction to me and my vast project

I thought that Liquid program looked good as well but not being a full blown writer myself I figured I wouldn't waste my 30 day trial but if it keeps going until you leave it alone for 30 days that's another story.

I did look in the Open Source world for anything that might help a writer organize his data and from my uneducated perspective thought yWriter5 looked good.

I figured it might at least help me to organize my gaming campaigns so I downloaded it. It was created by an author who is also a software developer so it could be good. There was also a published author who uses yWriter5 and she describes how she uses it in a little video.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I thought that Liquid program looked good as well but not being a full blown writer myself I figured I wouldn't waste my 30 day trial but if it keeps going until you leave it alone for 30 days that's another story.

I did look in the Open Source world for anything that might help a writer organize his data and from my uneducated perspective thought yWriter5 looked good.

I figured it might at least help me to organize my gaming campaigns so I downloaded it. It was created by an author who is also a software developer so it could be good. There was also a published author who uses yWriter5 and she describes how she uses it in a little video.
    Heh, grabbed that one too now.

Thanks for that. It sounds really quite useful too. Hopefully one of these programs will allow me to untangle the knotted threads of my plot and allow me to continue work on it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Novice

I added a sketch that I made based on a few of my older sketches. Also, yWriter is decent, but I personally have liked Liquid better.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions on the map, or even the story, PM me or post here. I check the thread every few minutes, as long as I'm home. I'd like some opnions on how to improve my sketch. Currently the PDS is 10,000x10,000. ... don't laugh I am not an artist.
    Last edited by Godon; 12-11-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like those sketches...looks promising and fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Do you think the land-masses are... right, though? They look wrong.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well the top landmasses appear to be melting so I'd probably cut them up or reduce the "drip" somewhat. The mountain range in the middle isn't all that realistic curving around like it does but it's your world so if you want them that way then so be it. Deserts usually form around the Tropics (of Cancer and Capricorn), which is roughly 30 degrees above and below the equator, so I'd move it down a bit which would require changing the land shape. So I'd cut that big blob off from the the top and move it up a bit and put a big desert there. The chain looks cool and the huge continents on either side of the globe add some mystery.
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-12-2009 at 12:24 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Well the top landmasses appear to be melting so I'd probably cut them up or reduce the "drip" somewhat. The mountain range in the middle isn't all that realistic curving around like it does but it's your world so if you want them that way then so be it. Deserts usually form around the Tropics (of Cancer and Capricorn), which is roughly 30 degrees above and below the equator, so I'd move it down a bit which would require changing the land shape. So I'd cut that big blob off from the the top and move it up a bit and put a big desert there. The chain looks cool and the huge continents on either side of the globe add some mystery.
    Don't 'hey it's your world' me! I told you I didn't like it and was looking for the suggestions, <3

Anyway, I'll resketch some of it and try again. I tried to keep the deserts around the 20-40 degree area, but meh. I'll put up a ruler next time and be more careful. I'll post new sketches in a bit.

Guild Novice

I posted four sketches, I referenced a map generated in Fractal Terrains, a style that seemed less distorted. Anyway, they are sketchy so I scribbled in most of the water with blue (missed a few lakes I added, which I had forgotten altogether in my previous map) and red for mountain ranges.

Thoughts? Remember, I'm not an artist. >:

Guild Novice

Sorry now for the tripple post, but I went on vacation with my Brother and my woman and am trapped by snow storms and such, so I'm away for a bit longer than I anticipated. However, I find myself curious as to whether or not I properly introduced my project and/or sketches/desire for input, as I've not recieved any on the sketches I put up over the last few days now. Does the guild just frown on terrible sketches?

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast