Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An introduction to me and my vast project

Guild Novice

Wip (4 Sketches) Me and my Project

My name is Michael Johnson, I am a Chemical Engineering student at Florida Tech and as such, I have less time to work on my hobby than I wish. I am currently working on accumulating extensive notes on a series that I plan to have span over exactly thirty books. It will be a fantasy novel, though I have not decided entirely on the tone of voice I will use in writing it itself. My current focuses are as follows: The map and its labels, a very detailed magic system revolving around my knowledge of chemistry somehow, and outlining the synopsis of the series in increasingly small increments (from series, to book, to chapter).

My content I had last time I posted is completely gone, as I have lost all of my notes and maps that were not backed up online. For my text notes, there is nothing. My maps, there was nothing. However, I look at it as a fresh start and am moving forward. I may not be able to be completely active, but I am actively looking for ideas and suggestions on any of the following material.

What my project currently consists of [Back down to 0% on it all]:
    The above stated outlining: %0%
    Series Synopsis: .5%
    Character portraits: 0%
    Noun description/sketches: .1%
    Spell description/sketch: 0%

All of that above is irrelevant here, I know, but I thought I would post it here anyway and update it periodically as I work over the months if anyone takes interest in my project.

World Map: ~.1%
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1-Sketch.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	19412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M2-Sketch.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	19413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M3-Sketch.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	19414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M4-Sketch.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	19415  
    Last edited by Godon; 01-22-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Adding map. See top and bottom of post.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is indeed an ambitious project. Since you have already been lurking I would suggest you look around through the Finished Maps as well as Challenge Archives and see if maybe there is an existing map that 'catches your eye'.

You can then contact the author (FYI...you need at least 5 posts before you can use the private messaging feature) and see if they'll either (1) Allow you to use their previously existing map or (2) Be interested in creating a new one for you.

There are several folks here who regularly take on commissions, both paid & non (including myself) so I'm sure you'll find someone before to long to give you a hand.

You may even want to create a thread in the Map Request forum (be sure to follow the basic guidelines).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

My word, you certainly are ambitious. 30 door-stopper sized novels planned in one series? :S

Well, good luck with that and the map and welcome to the guild.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Hi Godon and welcome to the guild.

I am trying to write a fantasy series as well (planned 6 books, not 30 ). Somewhere in book 3 I started to lose track of things as well. I then started doing stuff I should have done before even starting this project... so to keep track of things I did this:

- Created several overland maps
    - Created a huge regional map
    - Created more than a dozen city maps
    - Created a synopsis of the history before the story
    - Created a synopsis of the entire story I would like to tell
    - Created an outline of the story for each book
    - Created an encyclopedia of the world, containing dozens of pages, describing culture, characters, economy, strange beasts, cities and other concepts. I set it up as a Wiki. When inventing new stuff as I am writing, I add this to the encyclopedia.
    - All mayor characters have had their portrait commissioned
    - The first two novels I had printed as books and I can easily grab them from a shelf and look up stuff

Now I don't need to keep track of things in my head anymore
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-11-2009 at 06:32 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Novice

I am hesitant to post in the request forum since I doubt anyone would tackle a project this vast. I plan to do it myself with some help from this forum. I debated for a time where to post this, but decided here would work as I will be updating my thread with progress. Another reason I chose here instead of there is because my only actual map-making request consisted of a sketch of land-masses. Thanks for the reply Steel General, and I am aware of the five posts. I will get my posts in topics, likely this one, but other topics if they particularly catch my attention.

To Ganwarf: I am doing the same things. I actually am using Liquid Story Binder XE to catalogue my lists and outlines. I just started using it, rather than lots of notepad files I lost constantly. Your post did give me an idea. An obvious one, on par with plug the device in before tech support. I can get the world map and then cut it into separate PDS files copied the partion of the map for regionals. Then get the small labels in there.

By the way. I wrote this from my iPod so forgive errors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Godon View Post
    I actually am using Liquid Story Binder XE to catalogue my lists and outlines. I just started using it, rather than lots of notepad files I lost constantly.
    Hmmm, never heard of this program before but I just checked it out and it sounds intriguing. I'm going to download it for the 30-day trial. What is your view of it? Do you think it is worth the money?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Hmmm, never heard of this program before but I just checked it out and it sounds intriguing. I'm going to download it for the 30-day trial. What is your view of it? Do you think it is worth the money?
    If I remember correctly, it lasts until you stop using it for thirty consecutive days. To answer your actual question, I think I will eventually purchase it, if it goes on the 50% sale again next winter. Right now I don't have a time to spare (School has me in debt past my eyebrows).

My opinion on the program is that it is more useful than any other I've used, but has a few things that are annoying. I expect, however, for these to be ironed out. Little things such as, some windows don't mouse-scroll for some reason. I found a lot of the tools to be useless in the first two hours I used the program or so, but after three or four days I've admitted most are useful. Look at the tutorial on the website for each thing listed. I've not used the builder yet, as my current book is in Word, but if you have any specific questions or want any screenshots as to how I've set it up, PM me and I'll respond as soon as I make my fifth worth-while post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I am going to download it as well. It sounds and looks very interesting.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

This does indded seem like a useful program. I think I will grab it myself.

@Gandwarf-- How would one go about having portraits of main characters comissioned? I am a very visual oriented writer and I am finding portraits to be an absolute necessity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Locution View Post
    This does indded seem like a useful program. I think I will grab it myself.

@Gandwarf-- How would one go about having portraits of main characters comissioned? I am a very visual oriented writer and I am finding portraits to be an absolute necessity.
    If you want faces then just skim through magazines and catalogues and cut out faces from there that resemble what you imagine and then you can use them as a visual aid. I've got a stack of photos cut from film magazines that I can use as reference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast