Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Project in Illustrator

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it looks pretty good.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well, I'm back to school. Unless I do a whole lot better than I did last term, I need to lay off on the extracurriculars. I kind of wish I'd gotten more done on this, but it'll have to wait.

A little experimentation with climates. Still not happy with it, but it's slow going what with all the time I'm wasting with trying to fail classes and all that.

BTW: The colors in the Attachment Manager are... difficult... Otherwise likin' it, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	climateIsland.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	21253  

I think your colors look quite nice. Where is that island/continent on your world (or is it just a proof of process)?

It's more a test of process. I've never really had a successful climate run, so I have to build up a whole new set of skills and tools. This one is by far my best attempt at climatic representation, although I'm still not entirely satisfied. I've had some success with more automated measures, but I somewhat like the artistic appearance of this.

Wherever this winds up, it will clearly be in the northern hemisphere.

I had a little play with Bryce. Since I can't tell if Blender handles 16-bit displacement maps, I've decided to try exporting the terrain as a Wavefront object. Maybe I'll play with that in Blender. Then it's back to homework an Al Burphaban!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClimateIsland.br6.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	21320  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those are some colossal-looking mountains. I'd hate to have to go through those
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah. It would probably be better as a much smaller island. Probably no bigger than New Guinea, I think. The wide variation in climate doesn't really fit, but this was really just a testbed for some ideas I've had. I always have lots of good ideas when I should be doing homework.

Honestly, the thing is generally just way too rough.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Isn't that always the way things work? Instead of working I'm thinking about maps and techniques.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice stuff. Your Bryce view is pretty impressive. I've just started fooling around with trying to import the terrain surrounding my city map (Haibianr) into Bryce so I can use it to visualize how things look from various points in the city for scenes I'm drawing. Can't say I've had a lot of luck with it so far.
    M

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast