Thread: Maps for AD&D Campaign

Guild Novice

Question Maps for AD&D Campaign

Hi All,

I am a total noob and just found this site. I'm not sure what the going rate would be, but I would love to get some maps made up. I have an overall campaign map, about 12 small city maps and a larger town map. Each of these fit on a single piece of graph paper. I guess I would scan these and then send them to the artist?

I'm not sure of a rate or anything. I am debating purchasing some programs to do these myself, but with my current lack of time (demanding job + 11 month old), having someone else do them may be easier for now until I get a grasp on the software (I'm still not sure what software to purchase!).

Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts, I hope I have posted this correctly in terms of forum etiquette. If not, mods please delete.

Commission:
    [Paid, please send me a PM to discuss rates]
    [Paid, I am happy to pay $X for the map]

Time Constraints
    Would hope to get the world map in a month, and a couple of the village maps in 1/2 months, the city in 2-3 months and the rest of the villages depending on how long they take

What time limits (if any) are you working to?
    I am hoping to have finished copies done by the summer at which point I will likely have a software mapping program and start mapping on my own.

Style:
    I am looking for a map in the following style - Old School maps such as Tolkein Middle Earth or D&D Gazetteer. I am flexible.
    Hex maps are fine, the prettier the better, but functional is number one concern.

Description of Map:
    Tried to attach but having problems. You can e-mail me at ebizskule-----at------rogers-----dot------com.
    A brief verbal description:
    1. Continent/World Map. One major continent, several major islands
    2. Local area map of the region the PC's are in
    3. 1 major city
    4. 8-12 villages
    5. Various other locations to be determined (depending how things work with the artist and wether I decide to get my own software mapping program

The scale of the map will be approximately X miles to the inch (varies depending on continent or city map).
    Quality & Size - Good quality, 8 1/2 by 11?

Semi-professional, for my own campaign world, would like to retain the rights.

Thanks!

KT
    Last edited by King Thor; 12-12-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Add more info

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You posted in the correct place, but please read the 'sticky' and reformat your request with the appropriate information.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by King Thor View Post
    Hi All,

I am a total noob and just found this site. I'm not sure what the going rate would be, but I would love to get some maps made up. I have an overall campaign map, about 12 small city maps and a larger town map. Each of these fit on a single piece of graph paper. I guess I would scan these and then send them to the artist?

I'm not sure of a rate or anything. I am debating purchasing some programs to do these myself, but with my current lack of time (demanding job + 11 month old), having someone else do them may be easier for now until I get a grasp on the software (I'm still not sure what software to purchase!).

Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts, I hope I have posted this correctly in terms of forum etiquette. If not, mods please delete.

Thanks!

KT
    If you want quick and sort of pretty, then either Fractal Mapper(nbos.com) or Campaign Cartographer(profantasy.com) cost about the same ($40 or so) for the base software and you can quickly make maps using the included symbols. Fractal Mapper is far easier to use IMO, but Campaign Cartographer has MUCH more content available for purchase to increase your variety of symbols for map making as well as a wider base of people to help, however, the user interface it very unintuitive to most Windows users.

If you are more into learning artistic techniques(thought time increases a LOT), then GIMP and Inkscape are both free open source options. GIMP does raster applications, while Inkscape does vector. These two free products map fairly well in functionality to Abobes Photoshop and Illustrator respectively without the 500+ price tag (and of course, there are things one does the other cant do and visa versa)

While there are TONS of other programs, these are the ones I would suggest because of price and availability of resources(ie, tutorials) for helping people out.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Hi everyone,

I edited the original post with more info.

Here is the players version of the map.

Blog Entries

If you use a windows PC (or have easy access to one - i.e. not Mac or Linux...) and are not fussed about the exact shape of the world at this point then I would help make a start on the world map for any kind of guild donation ($5 is min) in lieu of a fee to me. That would get you the main rivers (in correct physics flow position), mountains, hills etc at any res up to about 4K (8K if you really need it) square (i.e. on the fairly huge side of things). It would be in B&W (greyscale) with 3D / perspective icon style pen and ink thing. But no cities, names or any art like the sea monster etc. I could provide it in layers for anyone to take on from there.

Also just to note, you have the map above at 27mi per in. When doing a world map you would be more like 1000 mi / in or even more depending on exactly what size you print it at. With a continent map like middle earth then thats about 3000 mi across so something like 250 mi per in. Either way you will either have forests as blocks or you could use iconic representation like little oak shapes but in no way would this be to scale. Even the mountain M's would be vastly out of scale. So its up to you how you want to represent the areas. If your able to draw the mountain shapes or point at some guild line art that is available then that would be best. I can direct you to some threads if required. I wont be drawing them myself tho as I dont have enough spare time.

I was playing with this to see if I could hit the style you were after.

Here's a low-quality sample. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll finish it.

-IG

PS- The trees and mountains are brushes courtesy of Ramah and vhailor27.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	king-thor.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	440.4 KB 
ID:	19399  
    Last edited by industrygothica; 12-12-2009 at 06:51 PM.

If your looking for something hand drawn style, take a look at my Baldimar WIP map (skip to the end as I am almost finished and had LOTS of iterations that were crap before getting something consistent... I don't have lots of time, but if your looking for really hand drawn stuff and more artsy, I think that would definitely qualify.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries

I'd be willing to work on the continental map for you for a similar deal to Redrobes, (payment would go to the Cartographer's Guild website as a donation) although depending on the amount of work involved $5 minimum sounds a little low.

My hand drawn style maps are here and here if you are interested.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Novice

Hi All,

These look awesome! I am looking to get several maps done, and would be okay with working with a couple of artists. What I would prefer is that if someone is an amazing with a particular style, then they could do those maps for me. I am okay to donating to the site or whatever we work out, and we can work out the details via PM.

Here is what I am looking to get done:
    1) World/Continent Map
    2) 8-12 Village/Hamlet maps
    3) 1 Large City Map
    4) 10-12 Dungeon level maps (10 feet per square is the standard, fit on one piece of graph paper)
    5) 1 region map

We can work out the scale according to the artist style. I am flexible so I am okay with giving my originals to the artist and having them make edits/suggestions that would improve the overall look/feel.

Please feel free to reply and send me links to your work, that is great too.

Quote Originally Posted by King Thor View Post
    Hi All,

These look awesome! I am looking to get several maps done, and would be okay with working with a couple of artists. What I would prefer is that if someone is an amazing with a particular style, then they could do those maps for me. I am okay to donating to the site or whatever we work out, and we can work out the details via PM.

Here is what I am looking to get done:
    1) World/Continent Map
    2) 8-12 Village/Hamlet maps
    3) 1 Large City Map
    4) 10-12 Dungeon level maps (10 feet per square is the standard, fit on one piece of graph paper)
    5) 1 region map

We can work out the scale according to the artist style. I am flexible so I am okay with giving my originals to the artist and having them make edits/suggestions that would improve the overall look/feel.

Please feel free to reply and send me links to your work, that is great too.
    How large (number of encounter areas) do you want those dungeons to be? If you are interested in fairly small dungeons (maybe a quarter to half the size of the ones I've posted in this thread) then I might be able to accommodate you. I am not interested in payment, however, as noted in a previous post, a donation to this site would be appreciated.