Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SEPTEMBER CHALLENGE: Alliance Crossover #1

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post SEPTEMBER CHALLENGE: Alliance Crossover #1

This month we'll be taking part in a cross site contest extravaganza! As you saw in our news post earlier, there was a contest over at Plotstorming.com and thecbg.org. The results are in, and now we get to make maps! And the good thing is; you get to choose which map you want to do! Sounds fun right!

We're all very excited about crossing over these sites, and all of the participating sites are featuring each others August contest entries in their September contests. So keep in mind that the winning entry will not only receive the standard Challenge Winner award on this site, but the entry will be put together with the other parts to make a complete piece of RPG material.

Guidelines:

The winning entry may be used in future alliance publications and therefore by submitting an entry you consent to having your work released as part of a future e-zine.

Remember to follow the posting guidelines and to create your own threads for entries. PLEASE USE THE THREAD NAMING CONVENTION...

WIP posts in this forum are welcomed, use this thread to discuss the challenge itself including any questions you may have. You have one month...go!
    Last edited by Robbie; 09-04-2007 at 10:15 PM.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Question Challenge Question

Looking at some of the fabulous past entries, I must ask, do I stand a snowball's chance in the infernal region to win a challenge using only Campaign Cartographer and its suite of addons?

Lol! I don't think it's the software, but what you do with it and the ideas behind your entry that count!

Although it's nice to win a challenge, it's also a great way to try something new (as I did with the last one) and set out your work in progress as you go along, which other folks might find helpful to see. The fact that you have to do it within a month makes it more likely that the work doesn't sit on the shelf forgotten.

Have a go!

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Looking at some of the fabulous past entries, I must ask, do I stand a snowball's chance in the infernal region to win a challenge using only Campaign Cartographer and its suite of addons?
    I would love to see a CC entry win, and I believe that CC is particularly well geared for this type of challenge where everything is spelled out. Once in CC it should be a breeze to take people's feedback and really perfect the map.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Eeeep! I've read both the entries and they are a challenge. The city of Rushton looks the easier of the two (marginally) given the very broad strokes in which the city is described.

The glass ocean with its limited landmarks and lack of certainty of size, direction and placement of landmarks is going to prove interesting to draw!

Good luck everyone!

Ravs

Good luck everyone!

It will be interesting to see who picks what.
    We\'re Here to Help - Plot Development, Short Stories, Inspiration and More!
    PlotStorming.com

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

I want to enter this months challenge which would be my first, but its very hard to wring any sort of description from all of those creative entries. Its frustrating to degree!

~Jared
    www.TheRedEpic.com

Well, the description of the glass ocean was long, but very thorough. The problem comes in that the desert is by its nature very hard to map - so making a defined map feels like cheating the rules. And making an undefined map seems very...well un-cartographerish. If thats a word

Rushon's description is a lot harder. The short story was very gripping - but hard to get much description out of it. I suppose one could do a much larger map of all the lands they journeyed across to get *to* Rushon. Or just make lots up. Sometimes that is easier.

For instance, I read the Lemis City description about seven times while making one of my maps, then was almost done when I realized Lemis Keep was *white* and I had made it red. So I had to change it to white, which lost a lot of detail. Then there are the knucklebones, which I have yet to get to - and those are barely taller than a person and look like fingers. Not too hard to draw, but hard to place on any sort of large scale map as they are so small. Unless one puts in some sort of stylized representation, or draws a map of a more local area. But when I get to the giant glass ocean map, I have no idea what I will do with them as they are small, not like normal mountains. Same thing with Shale-Table Key - its really a very small rock for such a large desert, and my cartographer journalist would be very concerned with accurate proportions. So details are frustrating!!! Cool though, I love the Glass Ocean Description. If only it were not so impossible to map!

I'd hold off on mapping Rushon for a moment until we have something cleared up.

It's the luck of the draw but us Cartographers have drawn a real hard one from the off with both the Ocean and Rushon.

Can't wait to pay CBG and plotstorming in kind when we kick off the next idea

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I'd hold off on mapping Rushon for a moment until we have something cleared up.
    I don't think we need anything more than the Glass Ocean anyway--because when I look at the three current entries (as of only week 1 of the challenge) I think there is some stiff competition and some inspiring cartography going on! Wow--I think this is so far beginning as our best Challenge yet.

PS: Hey Jared, I hope you DO enter this--I's wager hard cash that your entry will both be a contender for the prize as well as inspiring all other entries!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast