Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Empire of Galladorn

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Map Talandor

Well here is my first complete map since coming to the Cartographer's Guild. I have spent most of my spare time over the last four weeks working on this (though admittedly much of that time was spent learning PS and reading the many brilliant tutorials on this forum).

As I stated in my WIP thread credit for this map goes to Ramah for his beautiful brushes, Vhailor for extracting them, and the many talented tutorial writers who inspired me (all of whom have been duly repped).

**NEW**

I have been gone from this forum for far too long. The birth of my second child has kept me quite busy and unable to put as much time into my extracurricular activities as I would like. I continue to work on my second map from the same world as this one but it is going very slowly. Since I have been unable to devote large amounts of time to my new map I have been able to address some of the issues that have been bothering me about this one. After much agonizing over this map, which I am immensely proud of, I feel I have finally finished it.

- I decided to change some of the place names I was struggling with. In my haste to post my first finished map I settled for some names I was less than pleased with. I believe I have rectified that.
    - As stated in a past post I added roads which I am quite pleased with.
    - I ditched the previous texture I was using for a more parchment-like one. I was displeased with how the previous texture showed some banding when zoomed out. I am very happy with the new texture.
    - I edited the compass and went with a style I have seen used on this forum many times and have been in love with.
    - I also changed up my cartouche slightly, the name change reflects more accurately the time-frame in which my story is set (the Empire of Galladorn no longer exists and the previous map, although labelled Galladorn really depicted the borders of the nations that grew out of its ashes. Yet another error made in haste.)
    - I also change my scale. At my previous scale I realized my continent was far smaller than I had intended.
    - And the final change I made was to give the landmass a whitish glow to create some contrast against the dark ocean colour.

I hope you enjoy it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Talandryn.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	24405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Talandor2.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	4.45 MB 
ID:	24401  
    Last edited by Locution; 05-04-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: New updates

Wow that is Amazing dude , you learned real quick with fantastic results congrats mate on a job well done (repped )

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, looking forward to see what you come up with next.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Very nice. And I see you did adjust the lighting on the hills, well played sir
    Clean, crisp, believable, the works!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

This is a look I was trying to capture. Your map rocks! Good job.

Very nice indeed, well done!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I plan to begin work shortly on the second continent of my world but it will likely have to wait until after the Christmas season. I plan to use the same brushes for that map as well for consistancy but I will be trying my hand at other styles in the future. Hopefully if I can get my hands on a tablet I will begin to do some of my own artwork as long as I don't get to discourage by how much I suck

Very nice...very clean and easy to read. Well put together all around.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Map updated

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a very clean, pretty map. Lots of detail in there. I like the simplicity of the style and the subtlety of the colour palette. Beautifully done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast