Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slow or No Uploads, Trouble viewing images & reset connections...

Yeah, I was guessing it had something to do with the wireless connection. I had the same problem a while ago
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I swear.. i was like "I haven't changed anything"... I guess that slipped my mind.. well, not really i just didn't think it would make that much difference.. apparently my signal was already somewhat precarious.

I guess the lesson here is.. open the window before posting to the forum.. err something like that.. (0:
    Last edited by a2area; 12-14-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Yeah, your cellphone uses the same channel frequencies as your wireless. If you can check what Channel your cordless uses and your wireless, and then set the two soe they are at least 6 apart (and thus no signal overlap)
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Okay Neon - how on earth do you do that?

Blog Entries

In general I would ping either google.com or microsoft.com or bbc.co.uk or something big and really unlikely to go down. If all three are down then its likely to be a local problem. If one is down and the others are up then its likely to be either that that site is really down or the routing to that site is down.

Ok so if you can get through to them and not guild then do the tracert on the site you can see and see the route. Then do the same tracert to the guild and see if you get the same kind of pattern to a certain point before it diverges the routing. If after the diversion it goes bad then its a routing / site issue. In that case go find a web proxy and see if you can see the guild from that. There is also that lovely: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

If you find that you cant see any of the big sites because it says that it cant resolve the host name then you have a DNS issue. Firstly on a command prompt type IPCONFIG /ALL and check that the DNS servers are listed. If you have them pointing to your router then open its web page and check it has WAN addressed DNS. If it has then do a check on some web sites by IP address not web site name. Right now ping the guild and note down the guild IP address - its unlikely to change. Also grab googles and microsofts while your at it for future use. If you have all the DNS set up ok then you might have a local DNS issue. Type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS it probably wont fix it but in rare cases it has been known to.

I have no end of DNS issues and I keep switching them about. OpenDNS IP addresses are listed on the wikipedia so note them down now while you can. I see now that Google are doing their own DNS too so grab theirs too its supposed to be very fast. Note tho that whoever you choose they are going to be resolving every web site you visit... think about privacy... (Eric Schmidt mentioning no names etc)...

Anyhoo, might be worth printing out this thread and keeping it handy for when you cant get net access.

In your case when you had the tracert stop at your first router it smacked of local loss of connection to router - wifi being first thought. You should really get 0% loss of packets esp with a wired connection. Even a small loss would imply something wrong. Its either 0% or 100% loss - never anything in between for me.

You might have to check the Mac version of ipconfig but its a doozy to know about that. I use it mostly when windows boots and I switched off my router which does DHCP and it cant get a network connection when I switch it back on. Instead of rebooting I can go "ipconfig /renew". Hope this all helps.

please speak english on this forum Redrobes.. (-:

I got it solved (see above), it was my fault after all. I will keep this in mind though in case of future problems.

Remember the days when you could just jump on the neighbors wireless network.. those days are pretty much gone..

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Okay Neon - how on earth do you do that?
    For Cordless phones, I have no clue for the various models how to check for CHannel, as I use a higher frequency range model myself. BUT...for a wireless router, well, see the image below for a LINKSYS Wireless router. I have set mine to channel 11, assuming all other folks in my local area have not touched their default channel from Channel 6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	19510  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Hmmm, can't find a channel selection option anywhere in my router settings. Thanks for the pointer though. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast