Thread: [IP] Industry Pro Group - Redux

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question [IP] Industry Pro Group - Redux

So, I've had this group around for a while, and I've not really done anything with it at all since its inception other than use it as a tool to recognize those in the industry.

I figured it was time to start jumping on this since we have new Pro's showing up every day now it seems.

We thought about doing "Ask a Pro" but the problem is, many of you are already ingrained in the forum, so asking you questions is already available through regular means. So I'd like to hear your ideas on making the Industry Pro group work for you instead of just being a way of recognizing your status.

You guys already have access to the news forum to post news, which no one has really taken advantage of, but I'd like to know what other "tools" you guys think would help make this group useful to both the regular members of the site and yourselves. Toss into the hat here guys
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Honestly, I have no idea, as I've just joined and I'm still getting to grips with the place. That said, I'm happy to join in when I have the time (i.e.: deadlines aren't killing me, and the kids aren't tugging my shirt-sleeves).

Perhaps I'll have a better idea once I've been kicking about the place for a while.

As a thought, perhaps something similar to what conceptart.org does with their main page. Small hosted galleries of pro work would be nice, and I think it would attract others to this site.

It would also be nice to see a classified section for companies who are looking for maps. If not a separate sub-forum, then perhaps a link on the main page that will direct these prospective employers to the request forum.
    Adam Watts

Quote Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
    As a thought, perhaps something similar to what conceptart.org does with their main page. Small hosted galleries of pro work would be nice, and I think it would attract others to this site.

It would also be nice to see a classified section for companies who are looking for maps. If not a separate sub-forum, then perhaps a link on the main page that will direct these prospective employers to the request forum.
    Great ideas. /agree to both

yeah, the gallery/links up top like pixelbrush.net and conceptart.org seem like a good idea!
    Adam Schmidt
    Illustration and Cartography
    http://www.misteradam.com

i agree with above that some galleries to showcase work being published/used/cited would be good for networking.
    and a link board, maybe, for us to post links we find on a everyday basis that other map pros might find useful.
    what about categories of industry? i'm not seeing much GIS activity on here, i thought about starting a GIS thread