Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slow or No Uploads, Trouble viewing images & reset connections...

Help Slow or No Uploads, Trouble viewing images & reset connections...

I just wondered if anyone else has problems uploading to the site from their computer. When I began uploading files in late November I had no problem whatsoever. Now(in the last week) i can't upload a file from my computer for my life. I get a lot of "connection reset" errors or it just sits there.. even on small files. I am able to upload from a url however.

Also, I can rarely if ever view any images on the site except for the thumbnails. It just gives me a black box and spins and spins. It used to spin for a second or two on large images but now i can wait for 15 minutes and nothing happens. Occasionally one will just pop up right away though but hardly ever. I tried all of my different browsers and it's the same story.

It may not be the case, but I have a sneaking (maybe paranoid) suspicion that comcasts computers recognized my heavier than usual uploads and is constricting my upload bandwidth. I am going to call them if this is not a problem anyone else is having but I wanted to check in first and see if it was just me or not.

Thanks for any input.

Brian

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I've seen posts go missing (ones i've posted, and i KNOW i saw one in my Dark Lands thread where someone asked me about the figure I used for my scale pattern, but it's gone now) but never had a problem with the images themselves.

(unless they were attached to a post that vanished, heh)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I haven't had any problems but I also have no clue about what could be causing it for you. I know the techy guys around will know.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I've had no problems such as you describe a2area but I think I have had a missing post like Coyotemax describes. When I couldn't find the post the next day I thought I had dreamed the whole thing (it was pretty late at night when I posted) but now I'm not so sure. :s
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Have you tried pinging the site a2area? That should give some insight in your connection to this site (and if lots of packets are lost).

Not sure if you know have to ping... so: if you running a Microsoft OS, open a DOS prompt and type:
    ping forum.cartographersguild.com -t
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I'm on a Macintosh.. the thing that is weird is that I had no troubles until the past week or a little more now i think.. then BAM. No uploading allowed. I can still upload from a url. Here are two screen shots of what my upload window says at the bottom.. first when attempting an upload from my computer.. it just continues to say "sending request" forever..

and second from a url it does what it's supposed to do... says "waiting for cartographers..." and then after a few seconds it says "transferring..."

How do I ping from a mac and i will try it? I already contacted comast and the supposedly put me on a "more stable" server.. but it didn't make any difference so who know. Could this be a firewall thing? I didn't think so since i wasn't having troubles before and i have incoming connections set to "accept" for my browser.

Pinging on a Mac:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2196172_ping-mac-computer.html
    http://www.timdaman.com/?page_id=18

(I have never used a Mac, so not sure if those instructions are any good)

At the moment it looks like your connection to this forum isn't that good... do you have problems with other websites?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The "sending request" is pretty standard and could be there for quite a while depending on transfer rates so I'm wondering what your upload speed is. The maps I upload are usually around 4.5 megs and take about 60-75 seconds of real time to upload with my speed (it varies quite a bit). So put a stop watch on it or find out your upload speed (not the same as download speed) and let me know so that we can compare. My upload limit is 100kps, supposedly.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The "sending request" is pretty standard and could be there for quite a while depending on transfer rates so I'm wondering what your upload speed is. The maps I upload are usually around 4.5 megs and take about 60-75 seconds of real time to upload with my speed (it varies quite a bit). So put a stop watch on it or find out your upload speed (not the same as download speed) and let me know so that we can compare. My upload limit is 100kps, supposedly.
    That's just it.. it won't let me upload at all to this site.. it gives me a "connection reset" after about 5-10 minutes of "sending request"...

Before this started happening it took me about a minute or two to upload a 4 mb file..

It has to be my service which is a drag because getting to the bottom of a situation with comcast is not easy. They put you through all the "by the book" crap that it obviously isn't first and if you have any insight at all it's just "thank you for that information, sir." and they continue with the spiel.

PING RESULTS:
    Ping has started ...

PING cartographersguild.com (208.109.138.81): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=0 ttl=49 time=100.313 ms
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=99.505 ms
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=2 ttl=49 time=100.033 ms
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=3 ttl=49 time=97.965 ms
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=4 ttl=49 time=101.241 ms
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=5 ttl=49 time=101.100 ms
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=6 ttl=49 time=100.455 ms
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=7 ttl=49 time=98.997 ms
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=8 ttl=49 time=100.475 ms
    64 bytes from 208.109.138.81: icmp_seq=9 ttl=49 time=101.048 ms

--- cartographersguild.com ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 97.965/100.113/101.241/0.982 ms
    Last edited by a2area; 12-13-2009 at 09:40 PM.

I've had this problem too - although not with this site. In fact this site is one of the few I can upload to.
    Having said that, I haven't uploaded anything here in the last week, so if the Admins have changed anything recently...

I can tell you, though, that with another computer connected to the same router, I can upload without trouble, so it's nothing to do with my connection. This could mean that either there is a fault with one of my computers, or (more likely IMO) that something 'out there' has changed in such a way that one computer can cope with the change but the other (older one) can't. The geeks are always adding something new that my old box of bits can't cope with.

Sorry, I can't help more than that - I just drive 'em, I dunno what makes 'em go.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast