Thread: Gimp question

Post Gimp question

So... I am trying to build some subterranean tiles for use in Maptool. These tiles will be various sizes but will always be some unit of either 50 or 100 (not sure which yet. To make matching up each tile correctly, work, I need to make sure that each line on the canvas edges is always snapped to the guide/grid at the unit of measure (either 50 or 100 depending on the base size I choose of course).

The question is how to best accomplish that. I did my first test using paths and this works really well for snapping to the grid for the end points and is good for a general shape. However, the shape is just too smooth overall when the line is stroked. Just not enough control to "easily" get lots of craggy bits. Unfortunately, the free select tool which would be perfect, but it does not snap to the grid in any way.

Don't get me wrong, the use of the path tool does allow the production of a somewhat nice effect, but I just want the created line to have more character. Then I will fill with a few background colors and shadow and poof, I have a tile. Wash rinse repeat...

I was just wondering if I was missing something within GIMP to get this done.... I believe I have heard that this is fairly easy in Inkscape, but I would really prefer not to have to switch back and forth to make the 100 or so plus items and I am looking at creating.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I did some subterranean tiles a while back and asked Dorpond to wrap them all up as a maptool bundle type thing. Have a try with them they were done as part of the geomorphic tiles that we did in one of the challenges about Jun 08 or so. If you look for Dorponds last topic then I posted links to them.

Theres Torstans set too of course.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

The way I did it was to create tiles that are larger than the required size. Then use the marquee tool (which does snap to guides) to crop them down to the correct size. 100px in my case.

Note that if you have tiles that are an odd number of squares on one side and an even number on the other then they won't rotate properly within maptool. You'll need to save two copies, one for each orientation.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I did some subterranean tiles a while back and asked Dorpond to wrap them all up as a maptool bundle type thing. Have a try with them they were done as part of the geomorphic tiles that we did in one of the challenges about Jun 08 or so. If you look for Dorponds last topic then I posted links to them.

Theres Torstans set too of course.
    Yea, I know.. I was just looking to create some for my own....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    If you are using paths, try stroking them with jitter on the brush (and check enable brush dynamics). Also, my fractalize paths scripts can make them rougher.

-Rob A>
    yea.. I tried that.. but it ended up not working out in the 8-10 attempts I made with various settings... Where is this fractalize paths script? I don't see it in your sig...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Note that if you have tiles that are an odd number of squares on one side and an even number on the other then they won't rotate properly within maptool. You'll need to save two copies, one for each orientation.
    I already planned on doing diff orientations anyway since I plan of using bevels on them and it just would not look quite right when rotated manually (one of the reasons I want to make my own, because some of GE's tiles don't have a corresponding version in a different rotation angle.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials: