Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amarika

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Map Amarika

Map for a book I've started writing, about an US military convict who wakes out of suspended animation into a far different world.

For this, I started off with a topographical map of the eastern US, showing major elevations, then raised the sea levels around 100 meters. Liberties were taken to take into account better artistry and plot points. After I had the tracery of my raised sea levels, I filled in land and sea textures (mountains and rivers done using Pasis' excellent method), then finished up with the final details - text, forest, etc. I wanted to keep this fairly simple, so I went for more of a generalized look for everything.

I'm working on a 'sequel' map right now, showing a closeup view of the region just north of the Jade Sea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ExileMap1 copy.jpg 
Views:	1815 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	19466  

like the colors and fonts
    was going to say the ocean fonts looked too modern for the rest...but then saw the year of the depiction.
    Last edited by hubbardmapworks; 12-14-2009 at 01:06 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice job; colors are good, I can identify the shapes, labels looks clean, and I get to live in New Rome Not wild about the cartouche but those are always tricky.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Very nice. Sounds like an interesting premise for a story, I can't wait to see it in the bookstore

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks very nice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

The switch from a serif to sanserif font for the land and ocean locations bothers me a little, but overall this is a very well executed map. As for the cartouche (the label in the lower right that has the name and date on it) you might want to try something simelar to how you've done the ocean names (a box and text that kind of fades into the ocean) instead of a faux metallic look. It's quite at odds with the rest of the map.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

I live under the sea now, but that has always been a given. Great map, and I love seeing post apocalyptic maps of the world/US.

I like the colors and symbols. The fonts are clean and easy to read.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

took me a minute to fully realize that I now live beneath an inland sea. Looks great!

I like it. Love P-A maps but they're usually a little *too* obvious. It took me some searching to get my bearings with regard to current geography. Nice job. Repped.
    M

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks for the compliments, fellas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast