Thread: Inspiration

Wip Inspiration

This map is inspired by the Saderan map of Tear (http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=7920&page=2)

I couldn't use his tutorial because I didn't know how to translate some functions of Photoshop into GIMP (Layer style, group with previous layer ...).
    So I tried to do everything by myself and there is the result, for the moment

No idea of the scale, no idea for names, cities, no rivers ... not very inspired at the end
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorial saderan.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	756.5 KB 
ID:	19395  
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Blog Entries

Its great. I don't know the scale but as a set of islands in a world then the mountains could be very large. If it was similar to Hawaii or a small island set then they would be about right. The shape of them is very nice.

I am not sure about the white lines. I know many people put them on their map and I think there is some method to their position and direction and your lines might be correct, but it looks a little confused in the middle where they cross over each other.

Good use of color and texture too.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I do my rhumb lines basically as a a set of compass lines (turned into a brush) and place the center at the ports. So If you sail directly east then you follow this line or if you sail southwest then you follow this line. The colors are nice and I think you did a good job with what you had. The pattern on the land might be a little big because it looks like there are some big canyons with that pattern. I think a little more work or development and you might get something pretty cool. By the way, who did the artwork on that Rhim website? It's awesome.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thank you to you both.

The inspiration is back I modified the colors (in GIMP), and added some labels, roads and a scale (in Inkscape).

I think it's over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorial saderan v2.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	19555  
    Last edited by Noon; 12-16-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    Noon

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those are some nice looking colors.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Whoa, this is nice. I attempted to follow that tutorial and ended up with an absolute pile of rubbish. Not only do I seem to have issues with tutorials, LOL, but I too don't know how to translate it into the Gimp speak.

At least yours looks great.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, that's a world of difference from the first version to the second. The first already looked pretty nice, but the second one is fantastic!

The second version is more developed, but I prefer the colors of the first version. The revised colors are still nice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension
    By the way, who did the artwork on that Rhim website? It's awesome.
    I forgot to answer you.
    There are several illustrators in the team of Rhim. You can discover some of them here : http://www.rhim.fr/?pg=illustrateurs
    Initially, I was selected to work on the illustrations too, but I wasn't inspired by the creatures and they needed a cartographer

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry
    The second version is more developed, but I prefer the colors of the first version. The revised colors are still nice, though.
    Thank you.
    The second colors matches me better (not sure of the translation :/)
    I often use green olive, yellow ocher and reddish blue in my watercolors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon
    Whoa, this is nice. I attempted to follow that tutorial and ended up with an absolute pile of rubbish. Not only do I seem to have issues with tutorials, LOL, but I too don't know how to translate it into the Gimp speak.

At least yours looks great.
    I spent much time in this tutorial, and even if I couldn't translate it into the Gimp, the template was very helpful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond
    Wow, that's a world of difference from the first version to the second. The first already looked pretty nice, but the second one is fantastic!
    Thank you very much Diamond. The first message of Ascension motivated me ("I think a little more work or development and you might get something pretty cool.")
    Noon