Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continental map needs help

Wip Continental map needs help

Greetings everyone,
    I'm new here and to CC3, I have been working on a campaign setting for my gaming group on and off the past few months and I have a map piece I'm hoping to edit in CC3 but it's currently a jpg.
    http://pages.prodigy.net/meng25/sour...0Continent.jpg
    Is there a way I can import this into CC3 so I can edit it and add features like mountains etc? Sorry it's a really bad map, I'm not very good at mapping and have tried numerous times to get something better for my world to no avail.
    Also, I noticed a few people here take commission pieces? How much would it be to commission a piece usually? This world setting means a good deal to me and I'm willing to spend some although not aberrant amounts of money to get it a decent set of maps.
    The world setting website is: http://lagaia.tiddlyspot.com although it's not done yet.
    Thanks for your time and any possible help rendered.

WRose

Welcome to the community! We have another CC user. That's great! Where did you hear about us?

You can actually insert the map directly into CC via the insert menu. However, you won't be able to edit it. You can draw on top of the image, but you can't change it.

For commissions you can put a request in the Request forum and you'll need to work out the price and such with whomever offers their services. Who knows, you may even get some offers to do it for free, but it may not be in CC3 so if you need it to be in CC3 make sure you specify that.

Once again, welcome to the forums and please feel free to look around and participate everyone here is very friendly and helpful.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the information. I came across this site through a random google search for cartography and lurked for a couple days before joining up. There seem to be some great people here and I look forward to get to know everyone.

Wrose

And we, you.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Howdy Wrose,

Nice map - I look forward to seeing what the "finished" product looks like. I'd also love to know the scale of the map - are these ruins tens, hundreds, or thousands of miles apart? The use of pieces from an actual map is interesting, but hard to pull off - I tried the same a few years ago and just wasn't happy with it. However, it looks like your attempt came out much better than mine! =)

BTW, I was browsing through your setting and noticed that you were interested in receiving help on it. If you'd like to make life a little easier on yourself, check out Eruvian.com. It's a collaborative world-building website that allows visitors to use simple, web-based forms to publish their homebrewed content in a standard, searchable online format. You can publish a single component - say, a deity, a race, or a spell - or an entire setting.

It also has tons of features to encourage collaborative world building such as a hierarchical ownership structure, setting-specific forums, a community rating and review system, a content request system (a formalized system to ask for help and track tasks amongst collaborators), player and GM-only views of content, player and GM-only forum threads, etc...

Everything's free and it has an active and growing community supporting each other's efforts. The site launched in beta some three-and-a-half weeks ago and currently has over 100 registered users and 800 pieces of published content. Yesterday it announced its first agreement with an established publisher, Blue Devil Games, to become the official collaborative world-building site for fans of Dawning Star, their ENnie-nominated sci-fi campaign setting. And a little birdie told me there's more where that came from. =)

At some point, if the community wants it, Eruvian will print publish the best of the best content, most likely as compendiums (e.g. 101 Best of the Best Monsters/Races/Spells/Vehicles/etc.), crediting the contributors as co-authors and allowing them to be "published".

Hope you drop by and share Tel'Lagaia with the community there....
    Post your maps in the context they belong in - your world! - at Eruvian.com. Be a builder of worlds...!

Hey Wrose, welcome to our guildhall! If you decide not to commision that one out & want some help--even specific help on "can anyone make me a tutorial on...", go ahead and post it. We have so many amazing creators here, I'm sure someone could help!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Eru, thanks I'll be sure to check it out. I've already stopped by and was trying to register an account but it wasn't going through, told me to try again later so I will.

Pyrandon, thanks for the advice. It's comforting to know there are knowledgeable people I can poke at to learn stuff from.

- WRose

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot. Eru, I'll put a scale on my map in the near future so you can get an idea of distance. I'll post up here once I have.

WRose

I added a mileage scale to the map. The mileage calculations are based off the fact that a horse in D&D travels between 24-42 miles a day depending on his encumbrance. I took that and looked at how far I wanted a few of the different places to be from each other. If people have a recommendation on why it may be too big or too small please let me know.
    I also made some minor alterations (moved around a few spots slightly and hand painted in some rivers.)

- WRose
    Last edited by Wrose; 09-06-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Very nice, I see you also added the Isles of Ancestry and a whole bunch more map labels. Also, is that mountain new? I don't remember seeing it before....

Anyway, shaping up nicely!
    Post your maps in the context they belong in - your world! - at Eruvian.com. Be a builder of worlds...!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast