Thread: Yet anpther Alternate History Map - Kingdom of Lothaire

Map Yet another Alternate History Map - Kingdom of Lothaire

Quick map i whipped up for an AH site in PDN. The back-story (if anyone's interested) is the House of Savoy focusing more west than east in its expansion, keeping the title of Count Palatine of Arles and eventually becoming Imperial Vicars of the kingdom. Somewhere in there they get the Duchy of Lorraine somehow and go off on a Lotharingia thing. It's now 1900 and the House of Savoy-Mosel holds the title of King of Lothaire.

I was going for a early-mid 20th Century style, but with Medieval elements, the most notable being the language and typeface. Since the area is so linguistically heterogeneous, I decided Latin could stay on as an official; language. Antiqua is never invented, so everybody stays with Blackletter scripts.

I created the coffee/tea stain by making two cloud renders on two separate layers and increased contrast until they were totally black & white. took out the white, outlined the black with brown (and took out the black) and fiddled with noise, blurring, and opacity until it looks like it does now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbam2.jpg 
Views:	5364 
Size:	889.3 KB 
ID:	19522  
    Last edited by euio; 12-15-2009 at 06:38 AM.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good, nice job.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Good map! I'd like to see how Germany and Austria have developed.

It's not my world (except for L's backstory), & I had very little hand in creating it.

The Premyslids rule from Reichenberg to Trieste, with Bavaria and some North German Kingdom/confederation thing that I don't understand taking up the rest. They all hate each other, and North Germany hates Lothaire.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.