Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A starters world map

Map A starters world map

Hi again,

Here is my starters map of a continents part or something like that...
    Its on a very early stage so there are no names or anything...
    I just want some comments and tips about it so i can make it more natural...
    You know like "some more mountains whould be better there" or "This river is not following the gravity rules" etc..
    And even some ideas would be really appreciated!!

As a first change i'm thinking of adding a dessert on the rocky spot at the south east of the map...

I've also added some main cities on the map...(The ones on the mountains are supposed to be dwarves and on the forests are elfs)

So let me hear the critics i can handle it so be rough if you need too

Edit: Hmmm if the WIP icons means work in progress then this is probably a wip topic not a map one...sorry for that...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map 1.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	334.5 KB 
ID:	19553  
    Last edited by Kelethril; 12-16-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Cold cold Russia, where bears walk on the streets.

I think uploading your very first map in CC3 is not a good idea.
    Try again, fellow. Draw maps. Learn.
    Then upload.

Wow that was a quick denial :/
    Its not the first map i've ever made...its the first map i want to improve to the best and make it look natural...
    I dont want you to draw it for me,but some tips would help...
    Its not finished and its really simple with almost no sheets and stuff because i would like some help with the terrain features...
    That's why i posted it here so some of you would help me with some tips so i can learn...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelethril View Post
    Wow that was a quick denial :/
    Its not the first map i've ever made...its the first map i want to improve to the best and make it look natural...
    I dont want you to draw it for me,but some tips would help...
    Its not finished and its really simple with almost no sheets and stuff because i would like some help with the terrain features...
    That's why i posted it here so some of you would help me with some tips so i can learn...
    Sorry for the previous poster's lack of... ahem.. tact. Unfortunately, I am not a CC user, so can't help you directly, but I am sure NeonKnight or one of the other CC users will be along shortly to give you some guidance. Depending on if your up for learning something new or not, take a look through the finished map section and/or the Regional/World WIP forums and find maps that you might like to emulate. For CC maps, NeonKnight and Clercon are two names that come to mind. If you think you "might" want to perhaps learn some new software, GIMP is a great(as in free and fairly easy) tool in case you would like to make more artistic styled maps.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Sorry for the previous poster's lack of... ahem.. tact. Unfortunately, I am not a CC user, so can't help you directly, but I am sure NeonKnight or one of the other CC users will be along shortly to give you some guidance. Depending on if your up for learning something new or not, take a look through the finished map section and/or the Regional/World WIP forums and find maps that you might like to emulate. For CC maps, NeonKnight and Clercon are two names that come to mind. If you think you "might" want to perhaps learn some new software, GIMP is a great(as in free and fairly easy) tool in case you would like to make more artistic styled maps.
    I'm taking a look at these sections for some time now,its just unreal...so many maps,so much hard work...really just some congratulations are not nearly enough ^^
    I wish i was some lvls ahead so i could create my world like all those great works around here...
    But i'll give it a try too thx for the tips

Things are a bit hard to see at this size, but I've spotted some river violations. You have multiple instances of rivers running sea-to-sea (northeast and then in the southeastern penninsula).

Guild Journeyer

Rdanhenry is correct that it's hard to see the details at this scale. Generally it's best up upload maps to the site in the full resolution, except if you're working with a file that is larger than the size limit which are pretty generous.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that with CC you export to jpg or something like that so export it a little bit larger. The mountains seem to be placed logically enough and except for the rivers all it needs is some towns, roads, and labels. The more you play and learn the better it will be but that always takes time so don't worry about putting something out that you feel is inferior...we all start that way. For some real inspiration in what CC can do take a look at the stuff Bohunk does...he used CC almost exclusively for a long time (but recently incorporates Photoshop Elements) but you'd never know his antique maps were all CC.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think it is a great start...

pay attention to the constructive feedback from some of the long time members here - the quick denial statement seems to be more an attack on your software than you - but I am sure it was not helpful to hear.

From what I have seen CC is a program that can produce some great maps if you know how to work it... which i don't...

I think the most important thing is that you enjoy your maps... and the next important thing is that we treat each other with respect... and the next that we are open to learning...

But don't lose heart from negativity... it is actually pretty rare on these forums.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philipstephen View Post
    pay attention to the constructive feedback from some of the long time members here - the quick denial statement seems to be more an attack on your software than you - but I am sure it was not helpful to hear.
    ...and check the post-count and rep of those providing feedback and take it for what you will.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast