Thread: Fighting with Mountains

Post Fighting with Mountains

Testing my ability to make mountains. I followed one of the tuts but then I always just end up painting the whole thing.

This is just a tiny project where I am working on my method of creating them but I figured I would post it for folks to kick around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test mtn.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	19469  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It looks like a good start but I'd have to see it bigger and in a range.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You know, you are right, the style does look better in a range of mountains as in my WIP in another thread.

Still, it seems like it takes me too much effort to make a mountain. I guess I'll just keep experimenting until I get what I want.

It seems when I use the tutorials, I end up with a mountain that starts out ok but then doesn't shape up correctly near the top. It's like the top implodes or something...Hey, maybe I should just settle for making volcanoes
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I've been doing a lot of mountains lately and I reckon isolated mountains take more work to make them look right. A lot easier in mountains.

Damn now I have to work out how to do volcanoes (I already have a couple of plateus I like).
    -doug