Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Creating a map for my novel

I think that a line of low hills between the large lake and the rivers to the NW of the lake would be good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	19614  

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Ravells: I'm going to probably be recoloring the entire map once I get the basic structure together. I'm colorblind, so I'm leaving color until the absolute last thing so that I can do that all under the guidance of you experienced non-colorblind mappers.

Would you mind sending me the hex code, HSV, or RGB values for the "fawn" color you mentioned

Oh, and those mountains were all made by Ramah, and then converted into brushes by Vhailor27. I want to make sure those two get all of the credit for them... I'm not nearly that talented.

Landorll: You and I are thinking along the same lines for those hills. I might make them a bit more sparse, but in very similar places.

I'll also probably play with some foothills near the mountains on both sides.

Oh hey Ramah, thanks for the layering suggestion on the mountains. I ended up using that and it was super easy for me. I don't know why I didn't think of it beofre . I just made a couple layers and made all the mountains different wacky colors so I knew which ones were on which layer. Then, the erasing was a breeze.
    Last edited by FAHall; 12-17-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Post Vegetation and Hills

Hey Guys,

I've added the majority of my hills, forest, and marshes.

The big chunk in the middle of my map is fields/farmland. I've got some nice brushes for farmland, and I think if I throw in a some sparse tress that I'll get a nice field effect. Right now the area looks blank, but I don't want to clutter my map either.

Not sure how this will look though.

I am also considering creating a big chasm in the midst of the field area, but I am unsure how to create this effect and make it look like it blends in with the rest of the map.

Anyways, let me know what you all think and if you have any suggestions.

(As mentioned above, coloring will be the LAST step for me, as I will need lots of help with it... colorblind)

Next steps as I see them:

1. Finish up fields and make chasm
    2. Tidy up all vegetation and land features
    3. Mark settlements.
    4. Map roads
    5. Mark places of interest
    6. Recolor everything and make it all prettier.
    7. Labeling

As a side note, the style of my tree/marsh brushes don't seem to quite fit with my mountains and hills. Do you all see this as clearly as I do, or am I imagining things?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oltorf4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	19887  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice lookin swamp there. Everything else looks good as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FAHall View Post
    As a side note, the style of my tree/marsh brushes don't seem to quite fit with my mountains and hills. Do you all see this as clearly as I do, or am I imagining things?
    Yeah. I think it's a matter of crispness. If you could slightly blur the forest icons to match the fuzziness of the mountains, it might mesh better. Actually, scratch that. What about putting a slight color layer under the forests? Just a pale gray undertone to kind of give the woods more body?

But that's a minor gripe. It's a wonderful map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks great, my only little nitpick (and this is probably just me) is that the rivers seem very 'stiff and jagged' compared to the rest of the map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123