Thread: First map of yet another DnD world

Wip First map of yet another DnD world

First, thanks to those who have blazed trails and written tutorials...

This is a world centered on an ocean, not unlike the Mediterranean, but of larger scale, large enough to have different prevailing winds on the north and south. In the north half the map, winds blow west to east, and so the westerly side on continents tend to be more verdant than the eastern side. Winds blow east to west on the southern half of the map, and the east side of mountains get more rain and therefore have more greenery.

Profile of continents was created in Fractal Mapper and exported. From there, it was all Gimp.

I followed RodA's tutorial rather closely, since my first map.

I wish I had slightly sharper definition of forests. Hard to tell where the prairie ends and the forest begins.

Thanks, and I appreciate the feedback.

Asdel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detailed_map_1024.png 
Views:	620 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	19541  

I think it has excellent color. Nice layout. I couldn't zoom in and read the small island names though, not sure what that is about.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking pretty good.

For your forests you could try adding a slight drop-shadow to see if that helps to give them some 'depth' and separate them from the plains..
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking good, but I don't know that this is the full sized picture. If it is, then you might want to consider increasing the font size because some of the words are hard to read.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For the forests you could try using a darker color and that would help separate them from the land.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Them darn forests

OK, I've had some pretty good luck darkening the forests. Using levels I can darken most of it and get have some really pop out nicely. I need to find the balance between too subdued and too neon. Too Neon?

I like that in this version, you can see where the forest ends and the swamp begins, in the south east of this map, near the city of Freeport.

Regarding the use of drop shadows. I must be doing it incorrectly, because all I get just a bunch of darkness where my forests were. I have layers for texture and color (visible) and a bump map, forest noise, and a 'forest select' layer I should have used a channel for. (I am learning...)

I've attached a 100% scale partial extract of the full map, so the text will be readable. the smaller text is on a separate layer, so I can turn it off for less than full scale (which I should have done earlier.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world map 1.1 partial.png 
Views:	283 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	19613