Thread: WIP - The Continent of Ailandryn

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Wip WIP - The Continent of Ailandryn

This is the second continent on the world of Ghaiath Mhor. I was going to wait until after the holiday season to work on this but I had some extra time tonight and I whipped this up. This has taken me a fraction of the time that my previous map did and I am excited at the pace in which it is progressing. There's nothing special to see here but I thought I would make a WIP thread anyways. This map will be done identical to my Empire of Galladorn map.

The colours presented here are not permanent but serve only to remind me where I plan to place each feature.

Grey -- Mountains
    Brown -- Hills (there will be far fewer hills in the final version than what is presented here)
    Green -- Forests
    Beige -- Plains

The Continent of Ailandryn is home to the lost races of the world that vanished several millenia ago (they did not really vanish but were actually forgotten as humanity fled the land). While humanity flourished over the millenia, the other races stagnated and all that remains of their social structure is a tribal system. There are few major settlements here other than a few ruined cities and scattered communities deep within the wilderness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ailandryn.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	19542  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like it's a great start.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Like it, especially the final shape looking like a circle.

What about scaling down the "big inner island" to leave more space for the mediterranean sea? Maybe just making it more thin will do, since I like the fact that it seems like a bridge connecting other islands.

Waiting for the next step
    ciao ciao,
    katoblepa

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good so far but I think your rivers run too far inland...they almost reach the other coast in many places. If there's going to be some mountains there then it's all good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks SG

@ Katoblepa -- Thanks so much! I think I will play around with my island shapes a bit before I begin adding features.

@ Ascension -- Thanks. And yes almost all of my rivers begin in the mountains. For some reason I can't quite wrap my head around spring-source rivers. I don't know why LOL.

Ok so I plan on resuming work on this map as my next project except I have been having trouble with scale. This is one of two continents on the world or Ghaiath Mhor (the first being Talandryn which is in the finished maps section under the name of The Empire of Galladorn). Now, my original thought was to keep the same scale as with the Galladorn map (one dash equals 50 miles) This would make the Ailandryn map (including oceans and seas) about 2,900,000 sqare miles, roughly the size of Australia. This scale also brings the map of Talandryn in at roughly the same (2,810,000 sqare miles). I think this is a good size for Talandryn but with only two continents, each about the size of Australia, this is a very small world.

So, What I plan is to completely remake the continent of Ailandryn. This will be a huge undertaking, I think, because I will be aiming for a landmass roughly the size of North America but will be using the same scale present on the Talandryn map. Hopefully I can make this work. Just don't expect any updates for a while

I don't presume anyone cares overly much about any of this but I felt the need to update this thread anyways.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Locution View Post
    I don't presume anyone cares overly much about any of this but I felt the need to update this thread anyways.
    ahah I'd give you rep just for this sentence

Actually I think you did well: I hate stuck threads!
    Waiting for further updates.
    ciao ciao,
    katoblepa