Thread: NUM, the eastern hemisphere

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post NUM, the eastern hemisphere

This is the eastern continent of NUM, which is the setting for my Gervasa game. I was really only interested in the area in the upper left hand corner, but I figured if I was doing it, I may as well do the whole hemisphere.

This took about a week to do, all told. I primarily used techniques described by Ascension is his excellent continent and atlas tutorials, as well as some tips from Revell. I did the ocean differently, because I did not care for the result I got using Ascension's techniques. I am not thrilled with the result I got using my techniques, either (a combination of layer masks, layer filters, filters, lighting effects, and so on), but at some point I had to decide it was as good as it was going to get (I am also not happy with the neon-glow reefs, but have not yet found a technique for edging the continents that I like better).

I did put a river or two on most of the continents, although I am not sure you can see them since this image is 1280x1280, which is 10% of the size of the original (12800x12800, 1 pixel:1 mile), and the rivers were only 1 to 2 pixels wide. I did not put in any volcanoes, since at full 1 pixel:1 mile scale they would only be two or three pixels wide, at most (and that would be a truly epic volcano).

This map is not labeled: I will put labels on the flattened version. I will post a follow-up when I do.

I guess those are all of my thoughts, at the moment. If you have a question about how I did something, I will try to answer, although to be honest I mostly followed the three tutorials I mentioned above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUM_eastern_hemisphere_sm.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	19574