Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - The city of Ankh-Bathor

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

You are evil. but evil in a good way. Same kind of evil I am

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Ok here is the latest progress of the town. I tried some effects on the map as well, just to give me an idea how the end result might look like. The question now is if the roads are too narrow. Shall I widen them? Any other input is welcome as well.
    And Ravells, I guess you'll be the first one I meet when I check in to Umedalens mental hospital ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ankh-Bathor_3.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	21860  

Yum, yum yum... love the little green bits in the middle.

I'm in room 401...let's hope they put you in 400 or 402....that way we can slide pictures of maps to each other through the gaps by the drainpipes!

p.s. don't tell the doctors!

Wow, this map is progressing nicely. To answer your question, Clercon, based on what I have seen of Venice and other Italian cities (such as this google map of the core of old Florence http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...26758&t=h&z=16) your streets seem "about right". That being said, I would put a wider east-west thoroughfare either on one or both of the banks of the canal, or running parallel to it on one side or the other. Given how much traffic would be flowing from one end of the city to the other (granted, much of that by canal), such a road would be likely to exist.

Clercon, I think the difference in density looks great, and adds to the realism of transitioning from "working-class" areas to the more "sophisticated types" dwellings on the banks of the canal. As long as the final product retains enough detail to easily represent a road, I say keep it!

Thanks for all the nice comments, it really motivates you to go on. Here is a small update of the map. Finished off the harbor areas in the east and added a hill with a tempel. next is to do the less crowded areas of this part of the town...where the rreally rich people dwell.
    Hope you like it :-)

Name:	Ankh-Bathor_4.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	22105  

So this litle project has been nagging me a lot. I wasn't completely satisfied with how it turned out so the inspiration faded a bit with that. It also took me too much time to map it. So slowly I started to think if I might be able to do this map with CD3 instead. And maybe som finishing touches in PS.
    So I stared to test and learn what could be done with CD3. You can see some of the results in my finished maps.
    So finally I decided to give it a go. The problem now will probably be who gives up first, me, my computer or CD3. Because I have nerver before tried to something this big in CD3. And I don't know how the program will handle this size of a map. But we will see in the end....wont we ;-)

This is a part of the map, the eastern part to be more precise. The larger buildings are just placeholders and will be replaced later on with my own graphics. But that will be som time in the distant future. So will this work? Does it look ok in this style? Is the difference in sizes between poorer and richer areas looking right? Am I crazy doing this?

I hope you like it :-)

Name:	Ankh-Bathor_2.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	363.5 KB 
ID:	28437  
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Blog Entries

It looks great, Clercon. Much better than your earlier style I think. Good luck with finishing it and I'm sure it will be worth all the hours you spend on it in the end.

It actually makes me consider buying CD3 to give it a whirl. I bought CC3 before I discovered this forum and I couldn't get on with it at all. But CD3 looks much better. I guess I'd need to get in contact with Profantasy though as I've reinstalled everything since then, changed my email address and lost my download.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks Ramah!
    I'm also sure I will love it when I'm done, I just hope my wife will too ;-)

You should absolutely get CD3. I think it is a great program. Sure it has its small flaws but thats probably mostly because I'm used to PS. And CD3 behaves in a different way sometimes comparing to how PS would behave in the same situation. And it would be very interesting to see what you could accomplish with the program.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast