Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: WIP - The city of Ankh-Bathor

Thanks thebax2k. Well the progress of ankh-bathor has been rather slow recently. There are some progress that I haven't posted, but I need to do some planing and thinking before I progress further. The fields where a showstopper too, but that one is solved now. I'm very pleased with how they turned out on the southpoint map. So it might be time to go back to this one now
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

You probably have a good idea of what you want to place, but if you are still fishing for suggestions, I have a few. Some of those special districts that were mentioned on the first or second page (scholar's, temple, warehouse, etc.) should nicely fill up a bit of the space. Also you might want to put in gardens, plazas with monuments, and parade or tournament grounds. Given that Ankh-Bathor is likely the capitol of the nation/empire/kingdom that it is in, I'm surprised that the previews have not shown more extensive palace/military/government and bureaucratic complexes of buildings and structures such as the national theater, cathedral, or museum.

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    You probably have a good idea of what you want to place, but if you are still fishing for suggestions, I have a few. Some of those special districts that were mentioned on the first or second page (scholar's, temple, warehouse, etc.) should nicely fill up a bit of the space. Also you might want to put in gardens, plazas with monuments, and parade or tournament grounds. Given that Ankh-Bathor is likely the capitol of the nation/empire/kingdom that it is in, I'm surprised that the previews have not shown more extensive palace/military/government and bureaucratic complexes of buildings and structures such as the national theater, cathedral, or museum.
    There is always room for suggestions. My city creation process is very open and a lot of the stuff changes when I sit down and draw. In the southwest part of the city that I'm working on there will be two places of great importance. First of all the Imperial forum, a big open area where the emperor used to be crowned. Secondly there is the tower of the guardians. A tower that stretches some hundred meters up in the air where the order of the world guardians (at least they think they are the world guardians) reside. There are also some places in the map marked out where theaters and public baths will be situated. In the southeast corner of the city you can even spot a marked area where there will be an arena for horse races. But thanks for the ideas they are always welcome.
    My finished maps

I thought I should put up some progress on my Ankh-Bathor map. As you might remember the file ended up too big for CD3 to handle so I had to divide it in parts. So at the moment I have three different files to work with. This is a test to paste it all together to get a view on how the progress works out when it is all put together. Still a lot to do, especially in the southwest corner of the city. Then it is all the fields and the countryside outside the city gates. But hopefully I will be able to complete it in the end :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ankh-Bathor.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	38373  
    My finished maps

Dear diary.

Its been about 3 months since Clericon updated his giant awesome map. Was it too much for him? Was he eaten by a Manticore? Is a whole jar of Nutella really 2000 calories? These are all questions I ponder as I look at his blog and see the little village of Alvhem, which is like, totally awesome.

Yours truly,
    Krases

How many calories?!? Thanks for making me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Krases View Post
    Dear diary.

Its been about 3 months since Clericon updated his giant awesome map. Was it too much for him? Was he eaten by a Manticore? Is a whole jar of Nutella really 2000 calories? These are all questions I ponder as I look at his blog and see the little village of Alvhem, which is like, totally awesome.

Yours truly,
    Krases
    Haha, well I've probably put more hours in to this map then there are calories in Nutella :-)
    Well I haven't worked on it for a while, honestly I haven't been able to do much mapping at all lately. But my intentions are to get this one finished eventually, but it really is a time eater. So it might have to stand back for some smaller ideas, before I return to it.
    My finished maps

I really hope that you will return to mapping this city soon. It truly is totally awesome!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

very cool. this is going to be big when its done - are you planning on keeping it greyscale or will you colour it? personally i like these type of city maps to remain greyscale though i was just wondering. great job

Lyandra - Yes I do hope I will finish it one day. But it has been some time since I worked on it now. One problem was that I made it too big for CD3. The file got too big for the program to handle so I had to change the way I worked with it. After that i kind of had some hard time to get back to it. But hopefully the inspiration will get back to it

Vorropohaiah - The plan is to keep it in greyscale. I'll probably edit it in Photoshop when I'm done to give it more of a unique look.
    My finished maps

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789