Thread: in a maze of twisty little passages...

Post in a maze of twisty little passages...

hullo.

i've been peeking into these forums off and on for some time now, usually prompted by some mention of my random map generators (currently grouped together at donjon.bin.sh). i've also done a fair bit of mapping for my D&D campaigns, generally pen on graph paper.

professionally, i'm a computer programmer working in the internet industry. most of my coding these days is in perl and PHP. in the past, i worked in the dark, seedy underworld of radio propagation prediction and analysis software, written in fortran and using 30 and 3 second digital elevation data from the USGS.

i'd like to restart my project to build a really good random town generator, and become better at using tools like photoshop to create maps.

cheers!
    >>< drow ><<

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Another random town generator would be cool!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

For sure, welcome to here
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome and have fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome. I hope you will enjoy the guild community

Welcome to the guild!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Oh another Perl chap And your background sounds pretty interesting too.

We have been working on various aspects of city generation for a while now. I would recommend searching for the tiling scripts, or thatching scripts. So we can render out pretty good buildings into nice textured lit stuff automatically. Where we fall down is in the building positioning.

What we need is to be able to generate just black and white masks or greyscale height maps of the buildings in a city. Forget all the lighting and texturing whats missing is that we cant get the houses shaped right or positioned right so that they make sense in an arbitrary starting city mask.

We think that we need one of those minimum energy optimization things so that people build with the fewest number of walls, maximum enclosed volume, shortest distance to roads, minimum amount of sunlight, access to at least one side and so on. Then maybe the city blocks would just fall out.

Nobody has had enough time to devote to trying in earnest. But if thats something you would like to have a go at we could magic that up into a textured city.

Welcome !

oh, excellent. i have some ideas on procedural layout, but haven't had time to throw at it yet. perhaps after the new year.

using square block tiles would be easier, but i've been resisting that route. grid layouts aren't particularly medieval, and creating all those tiles seems like more work.
    >>< drow ><<