Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1-day experiment

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip 1-day experiment

I had half of the day off today (bad back) so I had some new theories to test out - trying to push the artsy thing even further...ie getting closer to a hand-painted look.

The first image is my base terrain; my normal sat-style with some lighter colors and I drew ridge lines on the mountain layer before hitting the lighting effects. I airbrushed in some shadows to give them some drama, put some waves in the deserts for fun, and then painted over the desert band with some green to constrict it's shape. With a clouds filter, dry brush filter, and tan/brown gradient map I added some splotches. For the stroke I took a path from selection then stroked it with a 5-pixel soft round brush with a bit of spacing and scatter on it. The forests are a 3-pixel soft round brush with max scatter options and then lightly texture-beveled and given a very soft green color.

The second image is a bunch of filters - reticulation, watercolor, diffuse, and some blending options across duplicate layers. The light colors might be a bit too intense but I'm not sure how I want to go about changing them just yet. I also put the rivers on last because they get lost in the filters, like my sand dunes, and started putting in locations. I had political borders drawn out but I didn't like em so I scrapped em. Tomorrow night I'll finish putting places in and start labeling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	19615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4a.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	19616  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Interesting stuff Ascension.

I really love your sand dunes!

The dunes took me the longest time to figure out. I used the lasso tool to make a selection, feathered it, filled it with the default pattern zebra, blurred it, ran lighting effects on it, blurred it again, then gave it a ripple (I think it was ripple at 50% large, could have been wave or zigzag, though, cuz I was experimenting), and set the blend to overlay.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Very nice! Its definitely got the painterly strokes look going.

Some slight critique. I'd replace your blinding whites with some slightly darker values or perhaps try lowering the value range of the entire map. Also it looks like your filters wholly butchered the stroke, which I personally think is making your filtering stand out a whole lot(not in a good way). Going in with a small brush and touching up some of the "cut up" areas, or ditching the stroke entirely might be a good idea.

If you're going for the painterly look, going in with some of your own brush strokes would definitely up the realism. Filters tend to have a very methodical look to them, rather than the psuedo-randomness and imperfection of paint.

Regardless of above, great start and I look forward to see where you go with this

I'm liking some of those effects you have going on there. I spend most my time dorking around playing with filters just to learn what they do myself. I've started just today making notes of what is what because it seems like when I want something I know I can do I end up searching forever to find it again

Thanks for sharing.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I really like the modification you made to your normal 'satellite style' to get the first image.

I think I see where you want to get to with the second image, and that you're well on your way.

Great stuff as always!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oh my god...
    You have just created my dream world...its EXACTLY like the one i imagine and try to create (and fail miserably...)
    Its awesome...just awesome...
    I really want to create my own but...if i don't make it ever would you mind if i use this for my campaign?It's totally for personal use only...

Kelethril - sure thing
    Voo - it took a lot of planning to get that stroke the way it is, I don't want a nice clean one I want a rough one that's busted up and random.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Some very nice stuff going on here. Can't really come up with anything productive to add though, but I'm looking forward to seeing your next steps!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Looking at the thumbnails, I really didn't think I would like the second image at all, and I figured the first image would be amazing. But when I opened the two images, I really found myself liking the second image. The painterly look to it is really good and provides a lot of interest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast