Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some CC3 Experiments

Actually, now I'm getting the convex/cave effect... I hadn't been earlier. Put something in the cave to indicate walls and maybe my eyes will see it correctly again.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I think you're right - the map does need some more visual cues.

Does this help?

Bevel off:

Bevel on:

The bevel is actually a pain in the butt because you have to move the symbols so they look like they're on the wall the bevel is creating.

That is an improvement, but my eye still slips a bit on the non-beveled one, but I'm not real pleased with the beveled one. Yea, this is a really tough call. Maybe it is because the colors are all grays. What happens if the floor were brown or the walls were?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    That is an improvement, but my eye still slips a bit on the non-beveled one, but I'm not real pleased with the beveled one. Yea, this is a really tough call. Maybe it is because the colors are all grays. What happens if the floor were brown or the walls were?
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head - the similarity in the grays may be causing the optical issues. I'm going to search for some brown (and black) stone or rock tiles to see if I can get something that eliminates that.

More to come...

Quote Originally Posted by jaerdaph View Post
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head - the similarity in the grays may be causing the optical issues. I'm going to search for some brown (and black) stone or rock tiles to see if I can get something that eliminates that.

More to come...
    I found this site has tons of cool BMP images for maps and stuff:

http://www.grsites.com/textures/

Also, reduce the size of your bevel. It makes it more sharp and helps to reduce how it looks
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 09-15-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I found this site has tons of cool BMP images for maps and stuff:

http://www.grsites.com/textures/
    I love that site - I got the cobblestones from earlier in this thread there.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Also, reduce the size of your bevel. It makes it more sharp and helps to reduce how it looks
    That does make a difference - thanks.

Here's what I did. I changed the rock bitmap fill that the caverns are cut out from and reduced the bevel:

I like the newer bitmap I'm using - I think using something that looks like real rock works better than the texture I was using before. Is the faces/vase thing still happening?

It looks like you have two shadows going there.

Do you have a glow going for your walls? I always put a glow in on my walls, to make them 'stand out", and put only a single directional shadow. Also maybe put a drop shadow on the troll and prisonar to indicate the light direction as well. Could help the visual clues.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

This is an improvement, and the grid helps as well.

Thanks everybody.

Yeah, the double shadow is to simulate light sources inside the cavern, possibly from multiple sources. There's an outer glow on the walls (in black) to hide them in darker shadow. The troll and prisoner definitely need some sort of shadowing though.

I think I'm going to walk away from this one for awhile. If anyone still sees the face/vase thing going on, let me know.

As always, thank you so much for the invaluable input and suggestions. This is why I really love this place!

Post More Fun with CC3 Sheet Effects and Bitmap Fills

I thought I'd resurrect this thread and add these latest experiments here. If you hang out at EN World, you may have seen these already.

This is a quick mockup of a castle, using bitmap fills and sheet effects on the left and traditional "old school" mapping on the right. I made the "scientific" graph paper using sheet effects as well:

jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast