Thread: Wip - Unnamed Island Map

Wip Wip - Unnamed Island Map

My first post here, though I've been a lurker for a while. I've been working on this map for the past day or so using Photoshop and a combination of Pasis and Ascension's tutorials.

The island is for a slightly futuristic game I've been working on, currently controlled by two super powers who have control over half the island each. I plan on adding in some sprawling urban areas and military installations.

Right now its just a terrain map, my thoughts are scale are roughly 100x40 miles.

-Zaro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island.jpg 
Views:	2540 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	19645  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think your scale is off. First, your island is 9 squares by 8 1/2 squares so 100 x 40 isn't right, it's more like 90 x 85. Second, with a mountain chain like that I'd expect something more along 900 x 900. If this were a 90 mile island then each square is 10 miles. Mountain chains are pretty wide and would probably not fit here...it would be much shorter and restricted to the main landmass chunk in the middle with maybe a low volcano on an end. I'd cut the mountains off keeping them in the middle and turn the rest into hills but I like the volcano-looking thing in the lower left and the little mountains in the east. Maybe instead of one long chain you should just do a handful of peaks and that might make the scale seem to fit better. Just whip out the eraser and erase em out a bit, pretty easy fix.

On the plus side it looks pretty good and the shape is really nice. One little fix and you're ready for towns and roads and text.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a nice start and has oodles of potential.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

I had a math typo in my scale, I was thinking 40 miles radius which would be 80 miles from top to bottom. That was my rough thought while making the map and 90x85 miles fits in that rough idea perfectly. I removed most of the western mountains and some of the eastern mountains, removing them all together looked better instead of having a peak or two peaking through.

Name:	Island.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	19651  

Looks a lot more natural...to me at least.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

The mountain ranges might be more realistic as blobby chunks than as linear structures. It could be reasonable to look at that northern string of mountains as a fault-block structure depending on the genesis of your island. If those are fault blocks, I think your island would be an extension of a continental range out onto the continental shelf. I have more trouble with all of those lakes.

It's an attractive map, though.

I agree with the lakes, I didn't think to remove them after the mountains that formed them were gone. I think its about ready to add the political and urban layers to it.

Wip

Well I wrestled with finding the right texture for the cities and I think I found it thanks to Google Earth and snapshot of western tokyo I scaled down.

I removed the errant lakes on the west side of the island and placed most of the towns/cites/military areas, I'm sure I'll spot an area where I forgot something. I'm still thinking of how I want to layout the transportation system and what texture to use for roads 'n' rails. Once that's all finished its on to the labeling fun.

Name:	Island edit3.jpg 
Views:	706 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	19682  

Cities look pretty cool.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is a neat idea for the cities...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.