Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: September 2007 Entry: The Glass Journal

Wonderful! I love the way you're working in all the elements of the brief and making them your own by extrapolation. Fantastic!

Ravs

Might I suggest using a handwritten font? There is a nice set here:

http://www.autofx.com/dsg/rff/hand_s...d_scripted.asp

that are royalty free and available for the mac and PC.

In particular, Dear Joe might capture the look you want. You can jiggle the kerning and such manually to make it look more random, but still legible (or render it large then erode the text).

I have to believe that an artist (especially one who keeps a journal) would have fine penmanship all the time

Otherwise, waiting for the next installment (like of like finding pages in a Myst game!)

-Rob A>

Lol well, I am an artist (not a cartographer) by trade, and my penmanship is horrid. I have a hard time 'writing' letters. If I take a while and 'draw' the letters they come out much nicer ^.^ I will definately check those links out, and handwritten font would be awesome especially for future maps.

Default Day Seven - Evening

Day Ten, P.O. Weeping

DAY SEVEN, EVENING

We have safely docked at Copperhead, and have caused quite the stir. We tied the airship off to Copperhead Rock itself, which means we are hovering directly above the city. While the more diplomatic members of my team have disembark ed to assure Mayor Hojin of Copperhead that we are not here to attack them, I have taken the opportunity to sketch a quick contour map of the region. While to measure exact elevations would take precious time that we do not have, I find the view quite pleasing. Perhaps when I have found my father, we can return and finish the map together. Tomorrow I will begin my explorations of the city, and find out all I can about the Glass Ocean from the Copperhead tent dwellers who live right next door to it.

NOTE: Thanks for the fonts link, I found one I liked Besides that it capitalizes every r....lol It took me a while to come up with the scale, as the knucklebones are pretty small and yet even a tent town has to be somewhat large. I have an idea of how I see Copperhead, so I might end up with a concept image as well as a map of the town over the next couple of days.
    Last edited by Amonite; 09-15-2007 at 12:57 PM.

Default filler

Sorry about the lack of updates! The Copperhead Map is taking me a looong time @.@ I am experimenting, and the method I picked takes a while Sadness. Anyways, I will try to finish the Copperhead map tomorrow and maybe a few sketches/entries to make up for the brief lapse. I need to move on to the desert soon so I really should hurry, lol. Here is a small section of the map I am working on, no labels yet and not quite fully colored.

This is turning out very well. I love the snap shots of individual locales on the map, and love the journal entries. I can't wait to see the finished product!

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

Journal page coming soon (after dinner) - in the meantime, here is the Coppertown map! It has grown a bit since the details outlined in the brief, which will be extrapolated on in the journal.

Day Eleven, Plane of Weeping

DAY EIGHT

I spent the day exploring Copperhead Rock, which has grown much since my father last mapped it. While it retains its tent city roots, there are now a few wooden structures as well and a highly complex legal system has evolved. Refugees flocked to Copperhead Rock when the former Duke of Lemis was overthrown and a minor civil war ignited. They brought with them a strong desire to govern themselves. Since no autonomous government exists this far west of Lemis on the Dorean Continent, Copperhead constructed its own miniature 'nation'. Its a great feet for a city only just over a mile square. Still, this would not have been possible without the help of Kizad, a Raveler-Mage who keeps his well- and the city in turn- stocked with water magically transported from the mountains.

Default Day Nine

DAY NINE

Day Twelve, Plane of Weeping

I spent the morning learning more of how Copperhead Rock 'supports' itself. While it is still heavily reliant on the territories around it for trade and on the adventurers passing through for coin, Copperhead has at least taken the first steps towards self sufficiency. Perhaps of the most interest are the Entari, hairy creatures well suited to life in this arid region. Copperhead has amassed quite the herd, and almost every part of each Entari is used. The meat and milk they provide supply much needed food for the community, Entari bones are sold for tools and runecrafting, the hides make durable desert clothing, and the yearly shearing of their coats lends itself to a thriving tapestry business. Almost every tent in Copperhead was woven from Entari wool, hence their distinctive brown color. Those with tents of other colors are soon robbed, as bandits and thieves are quick to latch on to the easy marks. The Copperhead justice system tends to turn a blind eye to these crimes, as every victim is guaranteed to be an 'outsider'.

NOTE: I realized I forgot a few labels in the Copperhead map, including the Entari Pen :S It is in between the Meat Works and the Wood Works, where all the food and troughs are.
    Last edited by Amonite; 09-15-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast