Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about Corel draw 12

Guild Apprentice

Post What about Corel draw 12

I have Coreldraw 12 and GIMP. I see a lot of tutorials in GIMP but nothing in Coreldraw 12.

Just curious on the reason. Also, when I did a search for Coreldraw it also displayed Inkscape. I am thinking that maybe they are simuliar. If anyone could shed any light on this I would appreciate it.

CHAplain
    Serving God and Country,
    Chaplain

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The reason for a lack of tuts for Corel is that, well, only 1 guy here is currently using it (Rythal). You guys can be the trailblazers or just convert other tuts into Corel. As for Inkscape, it is a vector program similar to Illustrator and I am assuming Corel Paint is more like Photoshop or Gimp.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Corel Painter is a different program than CorelDRAW. Draw is a vector editor, in Illustrator's weight class, in my opinion. I used to use Draw and PhotoPaint, but I switched to Illustrator and Photoshop for school, and for the sake of greater compatibility with After Effects.

It should be possible to replicate any Inkscape tutorial in Draw, and most of the Illustrator ones. I don't recall seeing anything here that couldn't be done in Corel, although the steps can be significantly different.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post CorelDraw works fine...

I used to use Micrografx software, which Corel bought and dumped as competition, but those programs are just fine to map with. I use Xara Xtreme Pro now, but that app is much like Corel as well. Thus if you can use it, and have it, you've got a fine mapping app.

Most of the PNG map objects available can be easily imported and placed on maps created with Corel.

I just don't like Corel as a company, so I don't use their software, but that shouldn't stop you from using it.

Consider that there are currently no specific objects made for Xara, but I use it exclusively and now problem to create any of my maps - even the only tutorials available are ones that I wrote.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the information. I really like the Corel suite I have but never really thought about it for mapping. I am just getting started and only in my spare time. I really don't want to learn a brand new program.

I will look at some of the tut's and see what I can do!
    Serving God and Country,
    Chaplain

Guild Apprentice

I found a pretty good starting tutorial. A little old but definately worth the trip.

http://www.le.ac.uk/elh/friends/reso...20Tutorial.pdf

It also introduces a product called GenMap. It is at the bottom.\

If anyone knows of any good Corel Draw 12 tutorials for map making let me know!
    Serving God and Country,
    Chaplain

Post You should download a trial of Xara Xtreme

Since you're familiar with Corel, use that primarily, but one thought is to give the Xara Xtreme trial download a try, if I remember right it is a 14 day free trial (fully functional). As a previous Micrografx user (similar to Corel), I found Xara quickly usable and vastly superior, despite its lower price (much lower than Corel as well), though I use the Pro version which is comparably priced.

For mapping the non-pro version is just fine (I think its $49 to $70).

Then you could actually try my tutorials offered here!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Hmm I havent actually done any work in Draw for a while, I prefer to use Photo-Paint nowadays, but if you want my advice, I would strongly suggest that you just start messing around with the program, getting a feel for what it can do. I've only done a bit of regional mapping in there, but yah, just test out how far you can push its limits. Working with curves is another thing which you might want to figure out( taking a rectangle, converting to curves, and then slowly but surely distorting its outline to get the outline of a desired continent).

Also, fills and transperencys are your friends.

But personally, I think that photo paint is easier to work with. Do you have the entire suite, or just Draw?

Post Just to explain the point...

I'm not trying to focus on my style of mapping, rather to show what "pushing a vector app for mapping" really means...

Here are several maps of mine that are pretty exclusively using a vector program to create a map, though a few notes have to made in that I sometimes import 3D generated objects as filler material, as well as using photorealistic textures as fills.

Continent of Celanta

Temple of the Sea God

This one incorporates a scanned hand-drawing as part of the map (a process I use quite a bit... Daitengu Mountain Pass

Sea Dragon Temple

All these maps use Xara Xtreme Pro - a vector drawing app, not a Paint program.

Is this what you mean by "pushing a Vector app" as far as it can go?

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

I was thinking of more just exploring each tool and its capabilities, and seeing how well they work together. If you get a basic understanding about how everything works, you can start applying that knowledge to whatever style you are looking for.

I haven't heard of Xara, though those are some pretty decent maps you have there.

but yes, exploring what the tools available to you are capable of is essential regardless of what program one may be using.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast