Thread: Coments on this?

Wip Coments on this?

Hey this is my second map that I made. I'm wondering if any one has any comments on it. Is the style good or should I pursue another path to mapping success?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3kx3k.gif 
Views:	139 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	753  

To be honest. . . it looks like a bunch of filters. It gives the basic idea of there being land there, but I don't see how it would be useful to anyone trying to navigate by it.

I personally prefer a more literalistic approach though. If you put some borders and labels and outlines this could very well pass the sniff test, but right now I just see colors.

Look forward to your next attempt though! I encourage and appreciate your out-of-the-box thinking here, it just doesn't much appeal to me.

Thanks. I will take what you said into consideration.

Of the three styles of land masses, I like the upper right one that looks like a blasted desert - it would be great for a sci fi or post apocalyptic feel. It looks much more realistic than the other two.

I am a big fan of the fact you are trying new things. I agree that the filter situation feels a little too heavy, but only because it seems slightly unfinished. I would maybe now filter again (if using PS) with an artistic filter (maybe posterize?) that reduces the others a tad.

Then again, if this is not a fantasy map, but more of a sci-fi map of sorts, this avenue maybe should be pursued rather than muted. Right now (aside from the border) this almost looks like some sort of geothermal or other satellite shot.

I say full speed ahead--keep playing & post some other shots of your play here because I want to see 'em!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Thanks for the encouragement. This map is for the Game im in now. Im not the GM so i cant put any towns or roads in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newmapworldqin-2.gif 
Views:	119 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	782  

Wip

OK i did some artistic filters in PS, would this be a good basic map, not really to navigate by but just for shape and geological regions, aka desert, forest, plain, ect...?