Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at map for game

Map First attempt at map for game

My first attempt at a map using Photoshop. I ran through a tutorial by a guy who's name starts with an A(not going to look I'm tired) and which had quite a few steps.

Just looking for any advice you can give me. I would also like to know how to insert mountains if you please.

P.S. I am making this for a project me and my friends are working on.

P.P.S. Hello
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sh.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	19665  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That would be Ascension Looking good! Afraid I won't be as much help with the mountains, I kind of went off in a different direction, but I do recall it has to do with the rendered lighting on one of the layers. I suspect one of the people who works more with this style will be along shortly, if not Ascension himself

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's been a while since I actually used Ascension's technique, but it does use rendered lighting on a cloud layer(s) to create the hills and mountains. There should be steps 'early on' in the tutorial handling the mountains and hills.

It appears that you have the hills layer correct, but perhaps missed a step or two for the mountains.

Oh...and Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It looks as though you've painted some of your hills with a very low resolution brush or texture and thus given them a "lego" look. Try using smaller or higher resolution brushes/texture for terrain, It'l end up looking much more natural, which is never a bad thing .

Very nice first map, I'm sure someone a bit more familiar with this technique will be around to help you quite soon.

PS. Welcome to the guild!
    Rainer Weston
    Programmer/Artist
    View my art here

My Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

So I'm guessing that you want the mountains to be right over top of the plateaus that you have...no problem. The continent tutorial does the mountains steps early on but it looks like you've dumped that layer...no problem.

First make a new layer, filter-render-clouds.
    Filter-render-difference clouds...do this a total of two times.
    Filter-render-lighting effects as per tutorial.
    Select-color range=black with a fuzziness of 200.
    Hit delete then deselect.

You'll have mountains all over the place so click on the lasso tool. At the top of the screen you will see a box that says feather so change that from 0 px to 50 px. Lasso up a chunk of mountain then click on the move tool (looks like a pointer) and drag it to wherever you want. Once you have your mountains placed make sure to erase mountains that are in the ocean...the best way to do that is to ctrl+click on the "base" layer in the layer stack, select-inverse, then hit the delete key. Lastly, you apply a color overlay of light brown and set the blend to soft light, then set the blend of the layer itself to hard light.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Map added mountains

How are these?

Name:	Shad2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	19676  

I think they look pretty good. Now you just need to cover up those plateau-looking things.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

you mean the ones on the east north of the desert?

This is what I'm referring to.

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	19680  

Made a few changes(to the colors) couldn't find a tutorial for forests so i just put markings there for now. and started tryin to put in rivers. i read some about those but i am not certain i have understood them.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ic-Map-Symbols

^used that for the trees
    Last edited by ikorack; 02-06-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: credit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast