Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Antique Style World Map

Wip

Here we are with another small update. The rivers are killing me. Between the original drawings of the landmass and this work, I believe this is the 4th time I've drawn them, and they're gettting more and more tedious

But enough whining! I'm hoping for some comments on the shading under the mountains in the north east section of the map (and so that I can easily look at them myself from a different computer!). The goal is for them to be very subtle, but I'm worried I may have gone way too subtle.

By the way, thanks to everyone who's given me comments through this so far, they're all very much appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique world map stereographic.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	19760  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, I would say that's way too subtle. I had to stare at it for a good five minutes before I could pick up the shading.

Wip

Quick update, darker mountain shading.

Name:	antique world map stereographic.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	19761  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The shading looks good to me, I wouldn't go any darker. Rivers are always tedious to draw but on this type of map they really help to sell it...details and labels are what the antique style is all about. Have fun with that and my condolences because labeling this puppy is going to drive you to the brink It looks really good so far so it will be worth it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Ascension I don't even want to think about how many hours I'll have sunk into this by the time I finish it....

I am actually very fond of Mercatur style maps. I look forward to seeing this one develop. With the old style maps, A cluttered look when it comes to names is a look I like. They used to be big in naming things and putting it on their map. Not only is that syle appealing to me, but its fund looking close to see all the names and places. Its almost like one of those where is ..... puzzles.

Sorry rambling a bit,
    Prolly cauz I love this style

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Well I expect you'll be pleased with the finished product Davros I fully intend to leave the blank spaces few and far between! Names are starting to come along slowly... but it's going to be quite a while yet
    Last edited by moutarde; 12-28-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: grammarz is good!

Wip

Mountains and rivers are finished, political borders re-done, and hopefully a little more muted this time around Started figuring out some names... just scratching the surface so far...

So barring any earth-shattering comments, it'll probably be a while until the next update - likely when I get absolutely sick of naming things and get start on a map of the moon, or constellations or whatever

Name:	Antique Style West Hem.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	19840  

Huh. Amazing what printing off a section of your map will tell you about what you need to fix, as opposed to looking at it on a computer monitor So I'm going to darken up the mountains a smidge, and reduce the opacity on the borders a little, and moutarde's a happy man!

Hell, I'm already happy, looks even better than I thought it would printed out

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking verra nice. That's an all around great-looking landmass; so much character.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast