Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld - AWESOME Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld - AWESOME Map

One of those "Don't judge a book by its cover" moments, I suppose, but I saw the cover of this book and picked it up... and then was blown away by the amazingly drawn map by Keith Thompson:

(Click for the big version)

I thought the Guild would definitely love gazing at this one.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

I'm not exactly sure I would call this a "map", in the technical sense. It's interesting, and really well made, that's for sure, but I see it more as art than actual cartography.

I'm noting that the Central Powers appear to have a steampunk-esque theme, while the Allies are more monstrous in nature. I think I'll go check out that book.
    Last edited by Daelin; 12-20-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I read about this book on John Scalzi's blog. It's apparently filled with art plates, and the few I got a glance at from that blog were very nice.

It's apparently a retelling of WWI with some cool sci-fantasy mixing it up. The Central Powers are indeed a steam-punk inspired, whereas the allies are influenced by organic technology. The title of the book refers to a living airship called "The Leviathan", fittingly enough. There's a couple sci-fi tropes mixed up in a rather cool and unexpected way, IMO. It's definitely on my reading list.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Not something I'd want to steer a ship by but it certainly has something to say about the character of each country.

Very cool.

He has some wonderful art. I believe he has a website with some very evocative stuff.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The book is pretty damn cool. I started reading it a few days ago. It's targeted as a YA novel, but this 37-year-old is enjoying it nonetheless.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Wish that they had that map in my history textbooks....

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The book is pretty damn cool. I started reading it a few days ago. It's targeted as a YA novel, but this 37-year-old is enjoying it nonetheless.
    That's great news. I don't possess the book yet, but hopefully I will. (Although I have a long reading list to catch up on first.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
    I wish they had steampunk warships in my history textbooks...
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
    it is just a modern version of a caricature, wich was published in this years. And you won't believe it, the older version was printed in my history textbook. I would show it to you, but i don't have this book anymore and i cannot remember the title.

Edit: I found it, here it is: http://www.lsg.musin.de/Geschichte/M...n/kari1870.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Not something I'd want to steer a ship by but it certainly has something to say about the character of each country.

Very cool.

He has some wonderful art. I believe he has a website with some very evocative stuff.

Sigurd
    It has something to say about the character of this countries in this time period, please^^

Oh nice find TBF! Both versions are great

Isn't it gorgeous? I spent much time ogling that map. (And the art inserts, too!) I got the book for Christmas and read it the same day. An excellent read - hopefully there's a sequel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast