Thread: Comming in Inkscape .48 "Spray Tool"

Post Comming in Inkscape .48 "Spray Tool"

This could end up being the ultimate automatic building placer.

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/SpecSprayTool

I haven't played with it yet as there isn;t a windows dev build including it yet, but it seems to include code to automatically remove overlaps as well.

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

You might have to explain why. It looks like a SVG token splatting tool with random orientation and some scaling.

It isn't pure random rotation, it looks to be random rotation as a deviation from the path direction. If the distribution curves are flexible enough, it would allow you to semi-randomly spatter non-overlapping buildings on either side of the road (path) that are aligned with the road.

I want to play with it when it comes out.

-Rob A>

thats inkskape? damn... that looks like something photoshop would do... just impressed with the combining of shapes into a single path

I'm liking inkscape quite a bit... only thing i've had some issues with is the lack of palletes..
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Quote Originally Posted by loogie View Post
    I'm liking inkscape quite a bit... only thing i've had some issues with is the lack of palletes..
    It uses the same palette format as gimp, and there are kajillions of those.

-Rob A>

While I haven't gotten nice cities out of it yet, when combined with my restack extension it can make a pretty nifty forest:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trees.png 
Views:	411 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	22188

I drew the three trees (using the spray tool with a circle source then union and adding a trunk and shadow plus a little gradient).

I grouped each tree, then selected the three of them and used the spray tool in clone mode with some size randomization to paint them in.

Lastly I used the restack extension with a top-to bottom orientation to make the "higher" trees on the page further back in z-order.

The nifty thing about clone mode is I could modify the three original trees (i.e. change colour) and all the clones I sprayed would also change.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Now I gotta learn how to use Inkscape just for forests cuz that looks great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is very useful. It'll be an excellent tool for pretty much everything where you want something semi-random. Think about star charts, for example. I can also see how you can use this to create some really nifty cave complexes. Can't wait to get my hands on this - and hope they fix the tablet input stuff or I will never touch it