Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A thought occurs

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If we used Port Magalie then would that be a problem ?
    I was thinking to use a town that hasn't been mapped already, but if you want to further detail Port Magalie that is most certainly fine by me.

-IG

I'm kind of excited about this, I hope it turns out fun for everyone. I for one will need to know what scale to use and how big to start pixel wise for resolution, etc.

I think I'm a competing slum-lord with Xyll (You know, we could have titles/awards for this stuff; from Gardeners to Lords)

Does Port Magalie have any landmark places of interest that need mapped out or will you just use whatever gets created? We don't have to necessarily create every building in the city. I can see someone getting skilled at statues or fountain areas for instance. Thus, when creating city plots it would be good to make notes of any significant areas such as town squares or meeting halls.

If someone wanted to create a random house that would be fine but if we need to simplify the project, we could begin with significant places. This falls under the Planning and Zoning commissioner of the city or whoever is role playing the ruling class. Maybe we can have noobs like myself build a few shacks to breath a little random life into the town while the more experienced among us take on the points of interest?
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-26-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Poor English
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I'm kind of excited about this, I hope it turns out fun for everyone. I for one will need to know what scale to use and how big to start pixel wise for resolution, etc.

I think I'm a competing slum-lord with Xyll (You know, we could have titles/awards for this stuff; from Gardeners to Lords)

Does Port Magalie have any landmark places of interest that need mapped out or will you just use whatever gets created? We don't have to necessarily create every building in the city. I can see someone getting skilled at statues or fountain areas for instance. Thus, when creating city plots it would be good to make notes of any significant areas such as town squares or meeting halls.

If someone wanted to create a random house that would be fine but if we need to simplify the project, we could begin with significant places. This falls under the Planning and Zoning commissioner of the city or whoever is role playing the ruling class. Maybe we can have noobs like myself build a few shacks to breath a little random life into the town while the more experienced among us take on the points of interest?

Port Magalie's CWBP wiki page. The only buildings of note are Weers Castle and the Wyvern's Nest. Neither have been mapped, though the Wyvern's Nest has a thorough description by 12rounds that should probably be followed.

Since this is a port city someone around here who maybe likes to do space ships might want to map out a wooden ship for the docks, hint hint
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

I'd love this!

And I might want to do a ship.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

I've attached an image of Port Magalie and noted a few small zones that I'd like to see. I'd like for someone else to zone the rest of it, though I'd like to retain veto rights in case something contradicts my vision of the city. Can't think of what that'd be right now, but just in case.

I've deliberately placed the shantytown in Lower Magalie directly below the Royal quarter and, more specifically, Weers' Castle in Upper Magalie. I figure there can be some weird power struggle there, and someone or something in Lower Magalie preventing the nobles from doing anything about it. Just a thought.

-IG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port-Magalie-Zones.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	342.9 KB 
ID:	19889  

So let's say I wanted to create a Tavern. Do I just go with whatever scale I want: 1 square = 5 feet, 1 Square = 10 feet, Does it matter?

Having little experience in doing this type of thing, I'm not sure how we should tackle it. I don't want you to have problems fitting a building in because it's so big it wipes out the street. Then you have to downscale it's size and suddenly that massive temple is now a place only halflings can visit

My initial vision of what we might have is along the lines of the example below. I just grabbed a modern downtown area to show the "plots". (You have to click on the image to see them.) Maybe it's too much work to set this up? Maybe it's overkill? Maybe it will work for some towns but not others depending on how they were drawn up. I guess this is what the Planning & Zoning director will determine. Then all we need is a way to measure the scale and we can create buildings that fit nicely inside the property lines.

It is possible I'm being to specific about all this but it seems that if we can iron out a set way to do these it will pay off in the long run. I'm happy to help come up with a way to do this but my lack of experience might be a problem.

I guess I could just make a little town, plot it out, and let anyone who wants apply for "building permits". If nothing else I'll learn more than I ever wanted to. Then if it worked I could put together a tutorial or something. Right now the whole trying to make everyone's work go together when I barely know how to do my own is a bit overwhelming. Then again there is nothing like jumping into the middle of things to learn.

Kudos to IG who is willing to let us try this on Port Magalie! I am not trying to shy away from that but do we need someone to draw out the selected areas into neighborhood streets and plots? Alternatively, we could just go for it and see what happens. I am a little vague on what to do, how much square footage I have to work with, etc. I don't want to make something that is useless or a nightmare to fix later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	19895  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12