Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Small Nation of Vumhine

Wow, those mountains are beautiful! They really pop up out of the page

Thanks for the compliments on the mountains. Have tried my hand at adding some colour to them though I think I still need to work on the contrast levels and texture.

Have did a test run of some more gentle hills nearer the Eorn forest. Turned out better than I expected though I still need to redo them.

Have tried a new style for the West Forest, i think it's an improvement but I might be biased so am interested what people think of the new version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vumhine_Handdrawn_4.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	19766  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Whoa, that's pretty awesome.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Filled out the rest of the hills and the forest outlines on the mainland. Keep noticing a few areas that need fixing so guess I'll be bouncing around those layers for a while longer.

Still not sure how to handle the grasslands and the wastelands, they both look rather plain to me. Also considering adding some sort of detail to the sea but not sure what yet.

Couple of mesa's to be added to the wastelands that I haven't even started thinking about how to go about drawing.

First test of giving it a parchment style look. Outside edges need sharpening and the outer background will need to be removed but don't mind the overall look.

Think I'll focus on the islands next though.

Name:	Vumhine_Handdrawn_5.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	19813  

I agree, that mountains work well, the vegitation not so well. The vegitation seems kind of bold with the general subdued look of the mountains.

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The forests seem very 'bold' compared to the mountains, maybe softening the shadows on the forest will help "bring them together" *shrugs* - just an idea.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Finished most if not all of the details. Was planning to add some trees to the islands but now considering leaving the islands as is. Also plans to add mesa's to the wastelands have faded. They aren't meant to be so big and high that they'll work on the map.. also haven't sorted out actually geography of them in my head yet.

With all the details finally in I've started to address the colour balance issues. Having a B&W filter made it easier to balance the greens/browns/blues in the final version. I hadn't actually realised how dark the forest was compared to the mountains until I saw the thumbnail of my last post here.

Also made an effort to bring the fonts inline with the overall style. I find the style of title of the focus nation a little glaring but currently best I have been able to come up with. Wanting to get back to designing the campaign and spending way more time on the map than I had planned so this is probably going to be declared finished pretty soon.

Name:	Vumhine_Handdrawn_6.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	19848  

Wow! Great looking map. I think that it is looking pretty complete also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12