Thread: Is it possible?

Post Is it possible?

Hi, new here and asking the obvious cream of the crop here 'if it can be done'.

I am looking to build a campaign map for an upcoming campaign, and rather than go down the same sort of path I have before I wanted to try something new, but bearing in mind that I am pretty much a mapping newb.

My 'vision' is to make a Googlemap type affair of the gameworld where players could plot routes and examine terrain, and I could adjust POI's of things (like known trouble hotspots).

What I REALLY wanted to do was take an existing lowly populated landmass (say...Iceland or Tasmania) in GoogleEarth and throw off all the main roads city names etc, and go back and overlay my own locales. Is it possible?

What would be the best steps for a newcomer to take towards this goal, or is it waaaay too ambitious?

I think NASA has some Data Images that can be loaded into other software
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You can always take Google images and chop them up into a collage that fits what you want. Or you can try out some of the tutorials here to get something halfway between digital and satellite. Many of us here are working towards that ultimate realism without using photos of real stuff so you're welcome to join in the process.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If you also want that zoom/scroll ability as well, you might want to check out Zoomify. Once you have a map you're happy with, you can run it through Zoomify, and it's a lot like dealing with google maps Photoshop (cs3 at least) has it built in, but there are other ways to get it working as well. http://www.zoomify.com/

(you'd think i worked for them or something, but no, heh. I just love the way this thing works, minimal effort, customizable results)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks guys, will start looking into those options!

The capacity to zoom, and add POI's, are two things I really would love.

BTW, some great tutorials here - really "woah, awesome" stuff that can be done with Gimp etc - I had no idea!

I'm a big CC3 fan. one of their latest annual supplements is modern atlas style. I'm not sure what programs you are using, but you might want to look at it.

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.