Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ancient Greek

don't know if it helps, If you don't ask for much things I may translate them for you. I'm from Greece, ancient greek is part of the school courses

Thanks for the offers, but I don't think I need to bother you guys with that The etymology for a lot of continent and country names come from classical greek, and if you've happened to take a look at the map I'm working on, I've got a LOT of places to name.... But even if it's not entirely accurate, google translate can give me enough modern greek to mangle it something more classical sounding
    Last edited by moutarde; 12-28-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: sp

ok then good luck

If you need it maybe another time:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...rue&lang=greek

This site is searching your english words in greek texts and is showing you the passages of ancient texts AND translations into ancient greek...but i think the main problem is, that the system shows you the greek words in greek letters

I use this site sometimes for my university-studies but i'm not quite sure if it isn't showing too much information for your issues.

However, if you need greek words another time...try it

Looks complicated! But also very powerful - I'll have to take some time soon to figure it out, thanks Adanvo

.but i think the main problem is, that the system shows you the greek words in greek letters

why would that be a problem? :p

okay not for the greek people and also not for me because it had to learn ancient greek for university (hard stuff!) but i think normally it looks a bit "cryptic"

Quote Originally Posted by Adanvo View Post
    If you need it maybe another time:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...rue&lang=greek

This site is searching your english words in greek texts and is showing you the passages of ancient texts AND translations into ancient greek...but i think the main problem is, that the system shows you the greek words in greek letters

I use this site sometimes for my university-studies but i'm not quite sure if it isn't showing too much information for your issues.

However, if you need greek words another time...try it
    Haha, I was literally about to post this. PERSEUS is definitely God's gift to students of classical studies. The problem for your purposes, however, is that almost all of the tools are designed to help translate Classical Greek to English, not vice versa. You can try searching for dictionary entries in the LSJ or Middle Liddell lexicons, but it won't be nearly as clean as searching for headwords themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Adanvo View Post
    but i think the main problem is, that the system shows you the greek words in greek letters
    You can change that when viewing a document or dictionary entry. For example: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...ry%3Dkeleu%2Fw

On the bottom right, change "Greek Display" from Unicode to Latin transliteration. The words will still look strange, as there are symbols used to mark accents and breathings that won't make sense to most, but you'll get an idea of how the word looks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12