Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Greek

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Ancient Greek

I was curious if anybody here knows of any websites or resources for translating english into any form of classical greek?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A quick bit of GOOGLE-Fu turned up this - not sure if it's what you're looking for tho.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah I tried asking Mr.Google for both ancient and classical greek, but without much luck. The closest I found was one called kypros (sp?) that you could check a box for ancient greek instead of modern, but it had such a small dictionary built into it that I couldn't found any words that would translate...

It was a pretty frustrating search, so I asked here in the hopes that somebody else may have already found something I could use, but if not, I'll just mangle some modern greek and call it creativeness

Sorry no, but it does remind me of funny a story a friend once told me. He had a friend who was travelling to Greece and wanted to learn the language. He went to the local library and found a book on learning greek and studied it. When he got to greece he was at Pireaus and asked some guys at the warf about the time of the next boat to an island he wanted to travel to. They fell about laughing. Turns out he had learned middle Greek so to our ears what he said would have sounded like: 'Prithee, cans't thou tell me what time a boat will travel to yonder isle?'

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Sorry no, but it does remind me of funny a story a friend once told me. He had a friend who was travelling to Greece and wanted to learn the language. He went to the local library and found a book on learning greek and studied it. When he got to greece he was at Pireaus and asked some guys at the warf about the time of the next boat to an island he wanted to travel to. They fell about laughing. Turns out he had learned middle Greek so to our ears what he said would have sounded like: 'Prithee, cans't thou tell me what time a boat will travel to yonder isle?'
    I had a classmate who did something like that, only he some how managed to study old English instead. That was a very confusing first year in an English speaking country for the poor guy. (When he first introduced himself, we thought he was speaking German.)

Haha that's awesome Ravells

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I kinda wish more people talked like that
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Not exactly what I was looking for, but that is nonetheless an awesome site Ghostmas I'm sure I'll be able to make use of it, thanks!
    Last edited by moutarde; 12-26-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Well it's very difficult to find a site like that...it will probably do a work like Systran does which in most of the cases is a failure(but at least it's funny )
    If it's not that much of a big text you want to translate or you're stuck somewhere i'm greek so pm me i may be able to help a bit at least with the modern XD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast