Thread: CC3 Continental Map: The Northlands

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip CC3 Continental Map: The Northlands

Hello, everyone! I thought I would start a work-in-progress thread by way of introducing myself. The attached map is just barely begun, and it is my first attempt at computer-assisted mapping.

I started by scanning a hand-drawn coastline into Corel PhotoPaint. I then printed a few copies and used tracing vellum to make new layers with mountains, forests, rivers and lakes, and roads & towns. Each of those sheets was scanned in to PhotoPaint, and I began trying to combine them. I quickly realized the limits of my skills--my artwork was marginal, my scans were awful, and it took me far too long to get anything accomplished in PhotoPaint.

So, I downloaded CC3 and began the work again, saving only the coastal outline and using the fractal tools to trace over it. I've obviously got quite a way to go, but I thought it might be interesting for ya'll to watch a beginner's first map go from start to finish, and maybe I'll get lots of help along the way to speed my learning process.

So, here it is. I'll post here again if I run into major difficulties or when the map has progressed significantly. In the meantime, many thanks to Arcana for providing this community, and thanks to everyone for all the terrific advice and techniques I have gleaned so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QoA&D topographical.JPG 
Views:	548 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	779  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name