Thread: The Lands of Barsaive

Wip The Lands of Barsaive

I recently found a map of Barsaive, a land from Earthdawn RPG on the internet and got interested in doing one of my own. The one I first found was in B&W so I decided to try giving it some life by replicating it myself. Also I just got a tablet and it's vacation time so decided to give this a run. Started out yesterday and got to this point just now..
    I'll just leave this here and get back to it while waiting for any comments you might have
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barsaive_full.png 
Views:	417 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	19747  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that the base terrain has too much going on...lots of pixels of many colors. The mountains look pretty good as do the forests.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice start. Now, this is probably just me but the forests seem to overpower the mountains a bit, as in they almost seem to sit higher than the mountains. I suggest making the mountains larger or more prominent, or fading or reducing the forests in some way. Again, that could just be me. Have some rep.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm with Ascension that something in the base terrain is 'overpowering' a lot of the other 'details' on the map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Haha, I think I accidentally put the farmlands-texture to whole terrain. Fixed that and paled down those forests. Also, did some color overlays for mountains to make them more visible.

Next I will probably start adding textures for habitation and color some of the base-terrain areas to have deserts and such. It's kind of hard to bend my mind around the fact that in Finland the default terrain is forest and lakes almost everywhere

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It has nothing to do with the farmlands as I can clearly see those around a few lakes and rivers. It's the main pattern that you're using for the base land ...might want to turn down the opacity on that so that it's more subtle.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Here's a better version with some labeling. I thinks I'm going to leave out most city names and just have larger areas be named after dominant city of the area. Also I corrected the Serpent River flowing into 2 oceans at once..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barsaive_half3.png 
Views:	1690 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	19852  

Guild Novice

Wow, I played this game many years ago, great map

Earthdawn was an interesting game that I only played a few times but it was pretty good. The game was linked to Shadowrun and based in the "Real" world, Europe I think.

I'm inclined to starting a game on this map, based on earthdawn or whatever.. not sure. I believe this is based on a real world location of Black Sea et al. Thanks for comments, this is going to be something I show to my players as it does not show all locations.