Thread: Tan Dorra

Post Tan Dorra

Hi guys. I'm a first time cartographer -- I used pyrandon's guide to make a sizable city map. I figured I would share it with the community.

This took me several days to accomplish; most of the time was spent learning photoshop basics. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

The map was drawn for my homebrew Arius, but it is unmarked so you can rip it if desired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tan Dorra (Rough).jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	425.6 KB 
ID:	19809  

Cold cold Russia, where bears walk on the streets.

Looks well, but kinda blurred. I like the idea of island city.
    Maybe adding some harbours would be logical? And one more thing - erase rivers more accurately.
    Anyway, good work! Keep learning PS!
    Last edited by Graphomaniax; 12-28-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Looks pretty good I think, have some rep.
    My largest nitpick is that the city looks pretty blurred when zoomed in. It looks a lot better when zoomed out. Adding some docks like Graphomaniax suggested sounds like a good idea.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks like you hit it with Poster Edges - do you have a version without that filter on it? Poster edges makes it a bit darker in places (as well as adding the black lines) so I'd like to see something a little lighter to make out the detail. As far as layout goes I think it looks pretty good. I haven't done that tut in so long, I need to refresh myself with it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I believe posterization is somewhat essential to pyrandon's scheme (or at least, my interpretation of it) -- the "cartoonish" effect it gives goes well with the photo-suggestive nature of the style. The final map in his tutorial is just as fuzzy, and quite aesthetic.

But yeah, I see how that's a price you might have to pay for not putting each of the buildings painstakingly, but instead haphazardly erasing the roads in swathes of 'building'. If you look closely you can see some of the buildings are very oddly shaped.

I will play with harbors next.

Here is the same map without posterization.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tan Dorra Without Posterization.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	372.5 KB 
ID:	19839  

Post Same style but not blurry

We used to have a member here, showed up at the end of last year and participated into early spring, when he was forced to find a job and hasn't been in since - Hoel was his name and he was Swede.

Anyway, he used these same techniques that you're using, that is creating a blob of color in CS3, then erasing to create buidlings and roads beneath it. Yet, his map does not have a hint of blurry properties or posterization. The style you're producing should look more like this map.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ht=Hoel&page=2

Not sure why you'res do not.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations