Thread: Free, Open Vintyri Symbol Set 4 Released

Post Free, Open Vintyri Symbol Set 4 Released

After harrowing upload times with Media Fire over the holidays, the Vintyri (TM) Project at last has released the free and open Symbol Set 4 of the Vintyri Cartographic Collection in two versions, one scaled for Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 and the other scaled for Dundjinni (TM). These symbols also can be used in or converted for any mapping or graphics program that can work with .JPG and .PNG objects.

Those who wish to use these objects with software other than FM8 or Dundjinni should go to our web site and read the page on issues.

Symbol Set 4 includes 286 building objects of house-barns, barns, farm sheds, pig pens, a flax-breaking (heckling) house, hops farms, pig and sheep pens, sugarhouses, a tobacco drying house, a treadmill, breweries and brewhouses, a coachhouse, distilleries and inns.

Accompanying the symbol set and available for download is a free and open 70-page PDF that gives you good tips on how to apply these symbols in your maps and RPG, historical data on the real-world prototypes that served as models for the new buildings and photos of many of these prototypes.

Those of you who make your own mapping objects may also find some interesting new ideas in these photos.

We're now in the advanced stages of work with the free and open Symbol Set 5, the last symbol set in the collection, which includes institutional and governmental structures such as temples, garrisons, castles and the like. It should be available for download within a few weeks.

You can download your preferred version of the Symbol Set at:

http://www.vintyri.com

The FM8 set, scaled at 1 foot = 10 Pixels, has a size of 96 MB. The Dundjinni version, scaled at 1 foot = 40 Pixels, has a size of 1.05 GB. The Dundjinni set is split up into 15 separate ZIP files.

The objects are free and open for private and commercial use. They have been released under the Open Game License 1.0a.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Member

These symbols look like they will be exceptionally useful - thankyou !

Out of interest did you use to make them available for Campaign Cartographer once upon a time ?

I think the link you provided is incorrect, or broken.

http://www.vintyri.com/vintyri/vccindex.htm seems like the correct site.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin_of_light View Post
    I think the link you provided is incorrect, or broken.

http://www.vintyri.com/vintyri/vccindex.htm seems like the correct site.
    The listed address should give you an option that takes you where you want to go. If there's a problem, please tell us what it is.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by nichollsr View Post
    These symbols look like they will be exceptionally useful - thankyou !

Out of interest did you use to make them available for Campaign Cartographer once upon a time ?
    Several years ago when we were using Campaign Cartographer 2 Pro, we made a library of CC2 vector symbols, but we've never produced raster symbols for CC3. We stopped using Campaign Cartographer because CC3 is incompatible with our product specifications.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Blog Entries

These look great.

Several things: 1. I tried the link and its broken for me and the one supplied by paladin is ok. 2. Are you interested in getting these tokens into my ViewingDale app ? I usually release all my download tokens as CC. What I can do is release the text files which form the token info and the app comes with a batch PNG conversion utility so they could get them from your site, batch convert and download the token info from my downloads area and they should work in my app just fine.

Edit - Yup looks good stuff !
    Attachment 21181
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-19-2010 at 06:00 PM.

The listed address should give you an option that takes you where you want to go. If there's a problem, please tell us what it is.
    Mark,

The website http://www.vintyri.com redirects me to http://service.t-online.de/c/12/70/92/38/12709238.html. It seems to have been working recently because the cached page in google still has the correct site.

I'm not sure if it's that way for everyone

Blog Entries

Yeah same for me but I have been using some google voodoo and get all of the Set2 downloaded. Its 1.12 Gb. Now the thing is that a lot the images are quite similar and a lot of each image is repeating pattern. I think something like 98% of the data is redundant. My app is handling it fine but I just dont think anyone is going to want to use these images. They look nice but at a gig per set its not viable. The problem here is simple and one which is a failure of many token based mapping apps in that these images are all at one scale and so the big houses have the tiled roof at 3K square when it really does not need it but the chimney needs more res to accurately describe it. In these images the chimney has a texture on it which has been scaled up pixelating badly. A fixed 40pix per foot is not the right way to do it or even 10pix per foot. Somethings need more some need less on a token by token basis.

Another issue which I get collared on is that the houses have lighting and that with a city all the lighting is not going to be in the same direction. This is why we have been heading down the thatching script route to get buildings.

Its obvious a lot of effort is going into these but I think its going to be undervalued. I was optimistic about these tokens but I think it has waned at least for buildings. I think for non buildings and smaller items its a good thing. Id be interested in other peoples opinions on this tho.