Thread: Greetings and Salutations

Post Greetings and Salutations

I don't know why it took so long for me to find this place! I've been looking for something just like this for a long while now. But finally searching 'fantasy mapping' turned up some results. xD

Anyway, the name's Meri (well, not in RL ), or Meridok. You can call me whichever you feel like. I've long been interested in reading & writing, especially fantasy (of just about any kind - I've yet to meet a fantasy novel I didn't like on some level), historical fiction, and science fiction. And for some obscure reason (I think I can blame Tolkien), I've loved maps for just about as long.

Unfortunately, I'm a pathetic artist. And while I do use the GIMP for some stuff, its mostly only been minor picture edits and such. I've certainly never attempted a mapping project on there! All my maps to date (and goodness knows I sketch enough of them) have been by hand.

Mostly I've been content with my crude sketches, but I love maps. I love looking at maps. I want to make maps as pretty as the ones I look at. So hopefully, that's what will happen on here!

Oh yes, and I'm a writer as well - my current long-term mapping project is for a fantasy world I'm creating, for stories. I've also an interest in pen&paper / DnD-style roleplaying, but I've never actually done it. The only roleplaying I have done is online, in forums (+ one chat style, but that's a little OT).

-Meri

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

There are some great tutorials for GIMP (and other software) you may want to take a look at.
    Last edited by Steel General; 12-30-2009 at 01:28 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

YAHOOOOO eh Another Canuck!!! We are getting almost as many new ones as France!

If you want to learn how to use Gimp for mapping, you gotta try RobA's tutorial on Creating a Regional Map with Gimp. It can be found in the Tutorial forum at the bottom of the Guilds main page. I doubt that it EVER leaves the first page, but if it ain't there it WILL be on the second. This is the best way to learn what Gimp has to offer for mapping, and in general.

Once you start the tut, post your progress in a WIP thread and ask as many questions as you may have. We, as a community, pride ourselves in being helpful anf friendly to anyone willing to try mapping. You will be very suprised how fast you could be turning out great maps.

Welcome and enjoy.

And if you wish to raise the Maple Leaf, there is a Member Location map under the Community menu at the top of the page.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thank you both for the welcome!

And yes, another Canuck! How many does France have? ;D

Thank you muchly for the directions, Korash, I think I'll pop right over there. I've a hand-drawn map of a kingdom that I think I'll start with.

Aye, I'll hoist that Maple Leaf!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thank you!

I had no idea the Canadians were moving to France either...interesting.

I think he meant we've had several French and Canadian folks join up lately.

Welcome aboard, have fun, it's a good place to be.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

*g* Well, some of us do speak French (even if it is French that makes the France-French wince and cover their ears... )!

Thank-you for the welcome. ^^