Thread: Monitor question

Post Monitor question

My wife's lcd pc monitor just popped. I currently have an NEC Multisync LCD1970GX and was thinking to upgrade this to a widescreen and give it to her.

I am doing research as I haven't been checking out monitors in a long while but if anyone has any suggestions feel free to toss them in.

She's not going to wait very long either so I may be buying a new one as soon as tomorrow.

Anything that isn't too expensive is also a bonus as I'm tight on cash for the next month. I know there are some 600 dollar monitors that rock it but they just aren't going to happen right now, unfortunately.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I got my 24 incher at Office Max for $250 last spring.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

What kind is it and are you happy with it?

We have a Fry's Electronics here which is pretty great. I may just go down and look at the various ones and pick one that looks best to my eye. I know I stare at my screen for entirely too long so I can't handle a bad one.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

A monitor's image quality is primarily defined by the panel type.

TN-panels are the cheapest type. While technology has come a long way during recent years, they are still the worst type for accurate color reproduction and viewing angles. They often have good response times though.

IPS panels are considered the best type for graphics work, because they often have superior color accuracy and viewing angles, but those are usually the most expensive ones.

VA-panels like S-PVA or MVA are usually in the mid range. They generally have the worst response times, which probably makes them not the best choice for fast-paced gaming. Some of them are prone to color-shifts when viewed from an angle, but they often provide good image quality for a fair price.

So it really depends what the monitor's primary use will be and how much you are willing to spend.

In any case, giving it a try at a store before buying is a big help for finding something that suits your personal preferences.
    Last edited by Tear; 12-30-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: mind not functioning properly

Guild Journeyer

I'd have a look at newegg.com they usually have some pretty awesome prices on things like that.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Yeah I use Newegg.com as well as mwave.com both have been good to me in the past.

Thanks for the run down Tear, I did not know all of that.

Every now and then I play a fast paced game so I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. It may just come down to whatever is the best I can get vs. what I want to spend. Maybe later I can upgrade to a fancier one.

Guild Journeyer

Also, don't forget about form factor!

Personally I'm not a fan of the 16x9 form factor. I find them overly wide and not tall enough, and when rotated they are overly narrow. 16x10 is far nicer for a work environment.

I really wish companies would better advertise their panel types.

Well, it's a done deal now. My wife absconded with my monitor today just in case I decided to drag my feet, LOL.

So anyway, I now have an LG W2353V 23" Widescreen. It seems huge, like I have enough room for two pages in front of me. Hopefully, it will work out and I won't have to upgrade for a while.

I'm still getting used to the various functions and settings but so far it seems pretty good.

Thanks for the information above. There are more things to look at when getting a monitor than I had time for.