Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thieves Guild map for publication

Wip Thieves Guild map for publication

I decided it was time I finished a couple projects. This one is for my collaborative publication with Johnn Four of Roleplayingtips Newsletter and Yax of Gamemastery/4e Blog. This is intended to be a PDF download, sold through RPGNow and Johnn & Yax's online sites, newsletters, blogs, etc.

I probably won't post the final version until after publication, but here's a WIP of what I'm doing so far. The style needed is my Xara enhanced hand-drawn style, which needs to match the Assassin's Lair from the June Challenge, as that map will too be published as part of the same publication.

After this, I need to create a Beggar's Guild map in similar style.

In this map, notice the staired tunnel on the east end, which leads to the sewer on the south end of the map. Notice where that tunnel reaches the sewer - just west of the stairs is a drainage pipe, that is one of the secret entrances into the guild area. The stairs at the top center leads from a hidden portal in the alley above. There will be one more access via a ladder in one of the chambers - leading from an outhouse in an open courtyard above.

The three darkened chambers, including the one at center just north of the sewer tunnel - the one with the haystack inside, are all cellars from the shops topside, however, they have no direct connection to the guild area.

This was completely hand-drawn at scale (16" x 20"), then given 3D bevels in Xara, along with shadowing, and the transparent sewer water.

Here's what I have so far - unfurnished for now.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	under-street-guild.jpg 
Views:	1165 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	19884  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-30-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Looks awesome, especially zoomed out.
    M

Nice Work Mate, looking good

Look very nice, clean, and I love the hand drawn style. Fantastic work! I am looking to crate a thieves guild hideout for my campaign, and this has given me a few ideas and some inspiration!

Thank-you for sharing!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff GP...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post A quick and dirty illustration

Here's a quick and dirty illustration to better show what the sewer entrance to the guild area actually looks like. It might be worth creating a few illustrations along with the map in the publication, for better description. I'll do a nicer job if I do that. Maybe show a constable with a lantern looking for runaway thieves at the steps.

Edit: actually the next step is to create the buildings on top, at least to those pertaining to the guild. I'm thinking the north west structure belongs to a tavern frequented by guild members with a trapdoor leading to ladder which I'll place in the northwest chamber (training & equipment room). The building to the northwest will be a barrel makers shop (which will show only the roof and label not the interior). The alley between them will be blocked by crates, barrels and a cart, however the top of one of the crates will feature a trapdoor leading to the stairs that go down to the Guild area.

The south east structure will be a carter's wharehouse and stable with a large wagon and main door facing south. The hay in the cellar is for the horse. To the south west will be a tiny single story bootmaker's shop, it will be the same dimension as the chamber in the southwest corner of the Guild area, which is the Guildmaster's Office/Quarters (the local Gnomic Syndicate boss.) He will have access to a more hand-drawn version of my Gnomic Vault map, with a portal leading to that extra-dimensional place. Also a hidden ladder will access the Boot shop up top. (Boots are a fetish of Gnomic gnomes!)

The interior courtyard, is enclosed, with a blocked alley as only entrance. A shed within will feature a hidden ladder going to the guild area. An enclosed (roofed) alley is the gated tunnel down to the sewers. The next adjacent building west prevents passage south. A street off-map to the north is the front of the tavern and barrel makers. While another street lies directly over the sewer channel. Roof plans will allow wall climbing rogues to scale and traverse to escape the authorities should a raid occur. Also providing tertiary access to the guild climbing one of the buildings - bootmaker, carter house, barrelmaker shop, or tavern and entering the courtyard to shed access. The guild lair requires multiple exits and entries...

GP

Name:	sewer-entry.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	19898  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-31-2009 at 11:24 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Doors, stairs, fireplace, furniture...

I'm furnishing the place now: doors, stairs, bench tables, beds and some locker, cabinets. More to do.

Update so far!

GP

Name:	under-street-next.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	653.0 KB 
ID:	19906  
    DrivethruRPG store

Really nice. my favorite part are the stairs. i don't know why, but i like the stairs.

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Wip Topside!

Starting to work on the area directly topside to the Under Street Guild. You can probably tell because the buildings walls line up with those beneath. I still need to finish the alley between the top two buildings. The second of the two to the right will be just a roof, as it has no connection to the guild, except for that enclosed cellar beneath it.

The bottom build is that of a carter, I need to place a 4 wheeled cart and a couple horses in the chamber next to it. Moving right along!

The path going to the far right of the map, will lead to the court's outhouse for all the businesses in this square - tavern, bootery, carter and the barrelwright.

GP

Name:	under-street-topside.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	505.3 KB 
ID:	19952  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Coming along pretty well. I see a little bit of a new subtlety to your style that shows some refinement of style in the coloring. Quite pleasing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast