Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** January 2010 Challenge - Up and down the scales ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Post *** January 2010 Challenge - Up and down the scales ***

For this month, I am sponsoring the January Challenge with a copy of my ViewingDale app to the top three places by vote. If you win you can get it by download, get a boxed set through the post or decline and take just the challenge glory.

I proposed this idea a long while ago but it seems that there has been some call to arms to implement it on a thread "A thought occurs" so just to spice it up I thought some prizes and a challenge topic might give the idea more oomph and get more people in on the fun.

This months challenge is where you must make a map which fits into one or more other existing maps on the guild. The idea is to make either a small part of someone else map like a building in a city and map that building or to use the other persons map as a small part of your entry. I.e. you take somebody's village and make a regional map with lots of villages on it one of which is the reference map.

Ideally you could map something which has both an existing larger and a smaller map and bridge the two with your entry. I.e. find a house and a regional map and make a town in that region with the house somewhere in the town.

The challenge is not going specify which other maps you can use. You should have permission to use other peoples map tho. If your using something Creative Commons (CC) licensed or from our community world building project (The CWBP) then you don't need to ask as its all CC licensed too. I don't think it matters very much if more than one challenger uses the same reference map(s).

If your looking ideas I will suggest two; Ravells has mapped Tavor and I mapped some of the surrounding area and called it Tavoronia which is a map akin to what this challenge is all about. So it would be good to map some of the places in Tavor like Scant Castle, or the town of Malo for example. The basic layout of the castle and town should match that of Ravells existing map. Then there would be a sequence of at least three maps all at different scales.

In the "Thought Occurs" thread, IndustryGothica has a map of "Port Magalie" with some areas marked up which could be done in more detail. So take a house, a few houses or a street and make a map of that sticking to the same general layout of buildings.

Voting should be based on the general quality of the map but also should take into account the continuity of the reference maps too.

Note that my app is a windows only app and does need a good graphics card to run fast. It will run on one without but its a bit slow in that case unless you have a quick CPU. It can run under virtualbox if your on Linux or whatever but it wont be fast. There's a demo on the website to try before committing to the cause if you want to check first.

I'm posting a touch early as I wont be available to post for just a short while.

Oh and Happy New Year to y'all. Most normal people would be drunk at this point.

Awesome idea...and great prize for the winners!
    M

Oh boy! Now I'm really fired up. If only I was a mapping wizard with legendary skills instead of a troll with a heavy bludgeoning instrument.

I'm going to try and do this though if I can find the time this month.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@Jaxilon - I moved your second post to it's own thread in this forum as it was an entry in the challenge.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yes I should have mentioned to those doing a challenge for the first time. You should start a new thread for your entry. The thread title should read "January Entry : Your Map Title Here" kind of style then when it gets archived you can see the Dec and Feb entries separate from all the Jan ones.

As usual I will try to keep on top of the thumbnails page. When you post your new WIP images as the map progresses it would be helpful if you put a :

### Latest WIP ###

as the last line before your uploaded image and then the thumbnailer script will see that image as your latest for the thumbs page. You can get away without the tag but if you or anyone posts any unrelated image then the last in the thread is used as the thumb one. You should vote on the thread but many people vote by looking at the thumbs images. I urge people to look at the threads this time because you wont see the reference maps to see how close the entry is otherwise.

I'll try to end the challenge as near as I can to 00:00am GMT on the 27th of Jan with 4 or 5 days worth of voting. Post into this thread if you need an extra hour or so at the very end or at least post something just before voting starts not to miss the dead line. Its happened too many times to mention before I upgraded the thumbs updater !

Thank you, Steel General. I thought about this after I posted here. I wasn't too worried because I wasn't sure if I was going to move forward with it. I should have made a new post just to be safe.

Sorry for making you do extra work.

Thanks again!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Can we use our own maps as a starting point?
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Quote Originally Posted by euio View Post
    Can we use our own maps as a starting point?
    Ditto question here.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Agreed with Redrobes, it's not a problem. The rule is mainly there to make sure noone is submitting maps that were made long before a challenge.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Hmmm... this could be a good occasion to make a small contribution to the CWBP... I'll have a look at the tiles...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast