Thread: Tropan... again.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Post Tropan... again.

Yet another redesign of one of my older worlds/settings, one which I'm quite fond of. I really need to buckle down and get writing instead of constantly redoing the map, but meh.

I did this as a mash-up of two or three different styles, with some of my own techniques thrown in there too. I tried out a couple new textures for swamps and forests (both of which I found here, I believe, but I can't remember who posted them originally - sorry), and I'm pretty pleased with the overall look.

This is a very old, dry, deserty world, with scarce water and woodland, so most of this map is either desert or dry steppe.

I wanted to pause and post what I've got done (which is just about everything except the city/town/fortress icons and text) before I finish it up and get your reactions. So fire away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheDyingSea.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	19902  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is a great start, looking forward to seeing it finished.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that the red/oranges are a bit dark and also very dominating. I'd tone them down with a bunch of light tan and light yellow. If you go an artistic way it would look like something by TheRedEpic and that would be cool but if you're going sat-style I'd break up the colors with masks and lots of other colors...all very neutral and light.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I think that the red/oranges are a bit dark and also very dominating. I'd tone them down with a bunch of light tan and light yellow. If you go an artistic way it would look like something by TheRedEpic and that would be cool but if you're going sat-style I'd break up the colors with masks and lots of other colors...all very neutral and light.
    I was kind of going for deeper, darker colors...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I was kind of going for deeper, darker colors...
    If you have a vision to make the map with dark and saturated colors, I think you should go for it and see if it rocks. You can always tune the tones and intensities with adjustment layers set as clipping masks (assuming you have all terrains in separate layers).

I am going to say this is finished... for now. I already have ideas on how to improve it, so I'm sure you will all be bored with another version in the future.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheDyingSea2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	19920  

Excellent map Diamond... I have been staring at it quite some time now
    It really looks like a living, breathing world. Love the textures and colors.

Have some rep!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I love the style. It's certainly an improvement over the old one(s). I think it needs less red and more yellow/green, though.
    Last edited by euio; 01-02-2010 at 10:09 AM.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Thanks, fellas. Hopefully the next version, whenever I feel the inspiration to start it, will be better color-wise...