Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [taken][unpaid]simple map- FRPG village

Guild Journeyer

Post [taken][unpaid]simple map- FRPG village

hi folks!
    im just learnig how to do dungeon maps, so it will take more time till i get how to do urban scenarios

i would like to request if possible a simple map for a village.
    informations:

-its for a retro clone d&D adventure im writing, so i will give the artist the credits for it. its a non-profit project, so neither me or the artist will make money of it.

-its a small village , with almost 100 villagers. most are artisans/craftsman and a few farmers. the main profit of the village came from wondering adventurers and the craftsmen work. its very near to a hill

-since its a retro clone, im looking for a "old school" 1ed/basic D&D feeeling , like the one in module T1-Village of Hommlet, B2- The Keep on the Borderlands or the Siege of Bodenburg. they are simple, with some trees, nature and houses. no need for inside the house maps.

-the village could pass unnoticiable in the "world map". its suppose to be a generic village that could fit in any regular fantasy game, so theres not a road that leads to a capital city or a market point. it could have some simple roads inside the village, though.

-im not in such a hurry, but if possible, i would like to send my adventure at the end of the month, so the map should be ready by then.

-i think its suppose to fit a A4 paper, but i could use half of that. either way its good.

-theres only a couple of houses that must have, because of the history:
      1. a blacksmith
      2. a small chapel. the chapel must be "in touch" with a hill. the adventure takes place when someone accidently brakes a wall in the chapel and discover a tunnel to inside the hill.
      3. a small house, the smaller house of the village, for a lonely old man and his friend
      4. a tavern

well, i think this is it, any help will be very apretiated!
    Last edited by rossik; 01-01-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: i forgot to mention something

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You may want to also check through the Finished Maps or Challenge Archive forums to see if there is something already completed that'll work for you. If so then contact the artist and see if you can use it or they maybe willing to modify it to fit your needs.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

If you dont find what you want in the finished maps section (Check the Thumbs page) then mention which of them came closest. The examples you shown were of a keep and the module on the table etc which is pretty far from the village required.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If you dont find what you want in the finished maps section (Check the Thumbs page) then mention which of them came closest. The examples you shown were of a keep and the module on the table etc which is pretty far from the village required.

ok, sorry, i was showing the style. i dont want a "3d" map, photoshop , etc, ust those plain maps like the ones in old modules from TSR. but thanlks for the link , i will look and try to find

here is a example of the map im looking:

Last edited by rossik; 01-01-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: found a example

Guild Journeyer

only that the one im looking for is monochromatic, but i think it should be a easy thing to change

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

So you're looking for just a simple black n white old school line drawing. I know that our resident dungeon masters can do that style for dungeons quite easily and there are many who can do that for regional maps. However, at this moment I can't think of any city maps around here in that style...there might be but I just can't recall. If someone takes this on it would really cool to have some old school villages here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    So you're looking for just a simple black n white old school line drawing. I know that our resident dungeon masters can do that style for dungeons quite easily and there are many who can do that for regional maps. However, at this moment I can't think of any city maps around here in that style...there might be but I just can't recall. If someone takes this on it would really cool to have some old school villages here.
    thanks ascencion, i thought i had falied searching for old school villages, eheheh

How about something like this? 100 people should be about 20 houses or so, a few small ones dotted around for your poor man and his dog (one in the forest on the hill if he's a hermit type), the smithy is by the river with (what is supposed to be) a waterwheel. Your chapel in the other hill. Presumably you'll want to put numbers in the houses and label them yourself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	1006 
Size:	531.5 KB 
ID:	20037  

Something I just whipped up in CC3, using one of the annuals that really lends itself to quickly drafted maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village.JPG 
Views:	4426 
Size:	283.2 KB 
ID:	20046  

Guild Journeyer

thanks a lot both of you, guys!

nice colors, Syt! if theres a section for "free maps", you should put yours, is very handy.

but ravells, i must say that your map is what i was looking for, thanks !
    i just know how to put the number in Paint, so, could you please number the areas? just put the numbers 1,2,3 and 4. oh, and if i may ask a little more, the east part of the hill (the chapel one) ends in a cliff, so maybe it would be better to not show the east end of that hill.

now, how do i proceed? sorry, i didnt get it right. should i edit the topic to "taken"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast